Navigation Buttons

Does anyone really use the navigation buttons at the bottom of the screen for rotating and elevation changes? From day one I've always used the keyboard/mouse, so these things seem superfluous. I was just wondering if most were like me in this regard, and if so, maybe there should be consideration for freeing up some screen real-estate by being able to remove them. Just an observation.

I use the magnificantion buttons a lot. But hardly ever use the directional arrows. When I do use them I usually just overshoot whatI'm trying to look at.

I do love [control]-[click], God help me I love it so. smile.gif

------------------

"Do not needlessly endanger your lives until I give you the signal"

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Just more field of battle really. Thought it would be nice to be able to slide the unit info-box to the side of the screen and gain a tad bit more view of the battle. A small point to be sure, but every inch helps.

I would agree with the real estate increase.

I guess too much screen space is "wasted" on BTS logos and background/unused buttons. This is though a tribute to the cleanness of the interface of CM. Amazing how good and simple it is...

I would rather see the unit info box larger and shorter than at present, so as to gain half the space of the panel for battlefield view.

Coralsaw

------------------

The best things in life are sniped at...

The only time I use the turn buttons is when zoomed in after "shift-mousing" from side to side. I use them then since the view usually hangs in the side-to-side mode for a second or two before rotating.

------------------

Cats aren't clean, they're covered with cat spit.

The unit info panel is designed to fit into a 640x480 screen. On larger screens, the areas to either side of this panel are blanked out – but the larger your screen, the shallower this bar is in proportion. So you can't make the info panel wider, as it won't fit on the smallest screen – and the bigger your screen, the smaller the percentage of space the bar occupies, so it's hardly important.

There are two other issues to consider – firstly, the view window needs to be rectangular. The info panel at the bottom and the main view window are drawn using different techniques, so they need to be separate. Besides, if the info panel were in the corner or something, making the view window irregular, this would be annoying.

Secondly, you don't know how good you've got it. It is nothing short of incredible how minimalist and unobtrusive the Combat Mission interface is. A panel at the bottom, and that's it. No border. No console with buttons for every possible command. No info screens flashing info about how long it's been since Corporal Dodds in 2nd Platoon last had a cup of tea.

In other words, the amount of screen real estate CM offers to the actual view window is abnormally high, so be glad this is a BTS game and not Microsoft or Hasbro!

This might seem the easy route, but it's actually a very brave way to go. BTS are selling CM on the basis of it being a soundly conceived game, not on it looking cool at a glance. A lot of people might be put off because CM is so minimalist – the kind of people that bigger companies rely on for their big profits. BTS have bravely kept the frills to a minimum, rewarding those who persevere – something which bigger companies would never dare to do.

David

------------------

...the pilot was able to circle and make a safe belly landing. According to O'Neal, 'this guy jumped out and ran up to me, shouting, "Give me a gun, quick! I know right where that Kraut s.o.b. is and I'm gonna get him".'

RE: Navigation Buttons

I realize it might be somewhat off-topic, but it's slightly related to the use of Navigation Buttons.

I agree that it would be nice to have them "disabled" from view when playing CM. The reason I say this is that I use a device called the Microsoft Strategic Commander. It's actually designed for RTS/Twitch games, but I use it solely with CM & StarFleet Command.

Basically, it's a rather large controller that goes under your left hand (if you're right-handed like me) and has a ton of programmable buttons. Most importantly, it moves omnidirectionally so that you can scroll/zoom/tilt the CM map by just moving your hand.

Really kind of useful. I've mapped all the buttons to commands within CM (e.g., "target", "move", "sneak", "disable labels", etc.).

Anyone who wants to check it out can check out the Microsoft (no tomatoes please) site at http://www.microsoft.com/sidewinder

Enjoy, comrades.