Odd Tank Immobilization

Playing Riesberg as Germans vs. computer. A Sherm approaching the village moves across open ground on the right side and stops to engage an enemy SMG squad. It is targeted by both a flak gun (309m away) and the sharpshooter (283m) near the end of this turn.

The Flak gun is, I believe, still hidden from the Amis in scattered trees. I *know* that it hasn't fired yet in the game.

The next turn, the Sherman begins shelling my squad ... unaware of the current danger to itself.

The flak gun and sharpshooter sit and wait, still targeting the tank but neither firing (yes - both have clear LOS). 15 secs pass and nothing. At 16 secs the tank begins to rotate its hull more in the direction it is currently firing. At 19 secs, it stops.

25 secs and still nothing from the gun or sharpshooter. Both are still targeting. I'm starting to get irritated at the flak gun in particular for just sitting there not firing.

At 30 seconds, the sharpshooter fires his shot and Bingo! a hit! The tank buttons up immediately and strangely shows that it is now 'immobile'. The 'immobile' message appeared instantly after taking the sharpshooter's bullet.

17 seconds later the tank crew abandons its vehicle for no apparent reason. It took no more shots from the sharpshooter, and the damn Flak gun never fired. And neither did any other unit. Also, there were no explosions around the tank at all from either mortars or artillery.

Any guesses on why the crew abandoned the tank? Or why it became immobile after losing one of its crew members?

BTW, will there be a way in the full game to save a playback turn? Would be handy.

- Chris

I would say that the crew decided to get out of there. Probally didn't know what to do cause your sharpshooter knocked off there TC. I would probally crap myself if my TC died to wink.gif I'm going to stop typing as tomorrow is lazy day biggrin.gif

I better get ready wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Coolguy101 (edited 02-11-2000).]

Sounds like a driver kill to me. The TC in any track I've been on was just dead weight. The driver is the most important member of the crew. He's the guy that keeps you alive. The gunner/loader is next. They keep the other guy from staying alive. The TC just screws up the whole process.

Rother

Good point. The sharpshooter might have gotten the driver, but I don't know that CM differentiates between crew members. And from this thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/001653.html

there doesn't seem to be any differentiation between crew. If one is killed, the tank is shocked for a bit, but can continue after the crew has 're-arranged itself'. Atleast that's my read.

If true, then I have no idea why the tank became immobile since it was moving the previous turn and had pivoted in this turn.

And the crew bailing out of the Immobilized tank shouldn't happen in the Demo unless something else happened to the tank (which it didn't). See Moon's post:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/001276.html

Hmmm. Just found Lou's post near the end of this thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/002062.html

So maybe it is in in the current Demo. *shrug*

- Chris