Any Myth or Myth II players here?

I was just wondering. Myth is my second favorite game. I may port a few Myth maps over to CM, I think it would be kind of cool playing Bagrada and For Carnage Apply Within with rifle squads and Panthers.

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

109G-

I love the Myth games wink.gif

I have made a CM version of the "For Carnage..." map and built an LMOTH-type of scenario around it. To make of for not having more than 2 players, both sides get reinforcements on all map edges, behind enemy stuff already on the map. The forces could use some more balancing, however.

I've also make a race scenario which can be considered something like of the games using balls or peasants instead of VLs.

If you'd like to help me tweak either one, let me know wink.gif. I find it refreshing that somebody else shares my vision of realistic WW2 units in totally unrealistic, but fun and carnage-filled, settings. Most folks around here are too serious smile.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bullethead:

I love the Myth games wink.gif

I have made a CM version of the "For Carnage..." map and built an LMOTH-type of scenario around it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dang it, that was my favorite map. Sure, I'll help you with it. Email it to me at ajvanatta@fortlewis.edu.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Most folks around here are too serious smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, stupid wargamers just don't know how to have any fun. Always griping about realism and stuff like that. Heck, most of them didn't even know about the real Sherman numbering designation. (remember?) wink.gif

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

[This message has been edited by 109 Gustav (edited 11-02-2000).]

Yes Myth and Myth II are games that I play

I have not played Myth II for some time but it is a GREAT (non-resource harvesting) RTS in FULL 3D great, great game Steve and Charles and Dan and Matt should get it and play it and go head to head in multiplayer as the game is VERY well designed.

Perhaps they could see how ti works and compare it to CM and get some ideas for CM2

smile.gif

I'm completely addicted to CM for now.

-tom w

Oh Ya!!! Myth and Myth II here!

Great games they both are. Very nice multiplayer games. The best I have played. Pretty good community too and still going. I've played myth and myth II for a long time but rarely touch it much these days. I loved playing the WWII map in myth II "WWII Recon". Oh what fun! I got into other WWII plugins as well, but that one always was the best in my estimation. I stoped playing them but there is a 3 year anniversery coming up for Bungie's Myth I on November the 14th. I may log on smile.gif

"For carnage apply within"...my favorite myth map all time. I loved it and played it countless times. Yes that a map of that mad for CM sounds like it would be very challanging in multiplay. Give it a go, let me know!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freak:

Oh Ya!!! Myth and Myth II here!

"For carnage apply within"...my favorite myth map all time. I loved it and played it countless times. Yes that a map of that mad for CM sounds like it would be very challanging in multiplay. Give it a go, let me know!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bullethead and I will work on it. I also plan to do a few other maps. Carnage was the only map I could consistantly beat my little brother on.

What maps do people think I should I do? I'm a lot more familiar with Myth I.

------------------

How about a series with beautiful zombies called Myth America, Myth Universe, etc.?

Seriously, I bought Myth I in the reminder bin, eager to play the game which had gotten such glowing reviews as an innovative 3D battle strategy/tactical game. It looked, in the few minutes I played it, like any of the RTS games with different camera angles thrown in (3D...but not CM's 3D). I put it away, figuring there was no way it would compete with CM. Did I miss something? Or is it just a bit past its prime at this point? Don't mean to slam Myth, just want to know if I should go back and try again.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maxm2:

It looked, in the few minutes I played it, like any of the RTS games with different camera angles thrown in (3D...but not CM's 3D). I put it away, figuring there was no way it would compete with CM. Did I miss something? Or is it just a bit past its prime at this point?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably a bit of both. wink.gif

Myth was released 3 years ago, and Myth II has been out for 2 years now. They were distinguished by 3d terrain that was pretty innovative for the time, a 4-degree-of-freedom camera rather than an isometric view, a fairly detailed physics model, and excellent gameplay. The biggest difference from most RTS games is that Myth is not about gathering resources. There is no production; you get a set of forces at the start of a scenario and you can't get any more (other than level-scripted reinforcements). So the focus is not on outproducing your opponent but on outmaneuvering them on the battlefield.

This, combined with a pretty compelling single-player game, excellent multiplayer support (with lots of game types and variants) and (with Myth II) tools for creating mods and total conversions including new game types have combined to keep the Myth community going strong for 3 years, although I think it's in its waning days now. It's not really a wargame, but with the right bunch of people it is fun as all get-out.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

Probably a bit of both. wink.gif

It's not really a wargame, but with the right bunch of people it is fun as all get-out.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AND it has EYE Candy out the Wazzooo

And its FUN Factor is VERY high

Here is a Screen shot from a WWII Myth II Mod

seventh.jpg

http://www.clanplaid.net/misc/recon/preview.html

-tom w

What maps should I port over to CM? I want to do a bunch, so I need to know which ones are people's favorites.

------------------

Why break a Molotov Cocktail over my head and call me a dorf! Us Myth players manage to get into all sortsa games, eh?

I used to be a certaint Gandalf the Grey on B.net for Myth 1. Best damn game I ever played, CM or not. I love CM now, and I play CM more then any other game, but Myth just had that Tolkien-esque, fantasy "feel", man, and I loved it.

Plus blowing up your friends in games of Slugfest on "For Carnage" was some of the most chaotic fun I ever had. Didn't even care about loosing it was so damn good.

My fav map has to be Creep on the Borderlands. I found it to be the most strategicly-demanding map in Myth, and I played 4 player 2 vs 2 teams on it non stop back in '98....oh man, remenicing like this makes me want to go play!

Too bad Myth 2 sucked so much. It lagged like hell (for me), crashed a lot, and had these fuzzy graphics on the units which pissed me off, frankly. Anyway, im rambling.

Cheers!

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Yep Myth II was no where near as good as Myth. Its interface was sluggish the units not as responsive the physics not as dead on. Mods did remedy this problem for the most part. I played WWII Recon religously for a while. It was Soooo addicting. I have stayed up till 4, 5 and 6 am playing that game with total disregard for time or anythig else in my life. (I guess I might have taken it to far!)

I agree with the commisar. Creep on the Borderlands is really one of the best maps. And stratagey wise it is great and should be a great map to do battle with on CM Especially with that big wall in the middle of the map that goes down the entire map except in certain area's. I think Creep would be a good map to trnslate over to CM.

Woo, Myth. First multiplayer capable game I really played, and boy did I play it. I would _highly_ recommend it to anyone on these boards. It has alot of the same tactical strategies you see in CM, just on a different level. As you can certainly imagine, having melee combat and fantastical units does change the balance. But online play is far and away the best of any game I have ever played. The varied net-game types are fabulous. The community is as good as this one, just more splintered.

Regarding the World War II conversion... It sucks. It is by no stretch of the imagination at all like CM combat, or even world war II combat. There is one type of tank, and one type of soldier. It plays much more like I imagine Vietnam was. Lost of guerilla tactics, lots of duck and fade tactics, it is VERY dependant on recon. Units die much faster than in CM, Tanks are much more deadly.

Anyway, I still love Myth more than CM, but only because of all the people I've met through it, and the tournaments I still play in. That and the lower time commitment; I can rarely find time to get through a game of CM. I go by Carbon on b.net.

------------------

Cross over the cell bars, find a new maze,

make the maze from its

path, find the cell bars,

cross over the bars,

find a maze, make the

maze from its path, eat

the food, eat the

path.

Grendel Posted:

"Regarding the World War II conversion... It sucks. It is by no stretch of the imagination at all like CM combat, or even world war II combat"

Well, first off, I don't think that WWII Recon for Myth II is bad at all or sucks. Remember there are a lot of WWII maps/plugins out there but only a very few were accepted as maps to use in multiplay. WWII Recon being one of them and probably the best IMO. Remember, Myth is a real time stratgey game not turn based. Also, the units in Myth are not historicaly accurate by any means. This is not the absolute intention in the myth universe. What it comes down to for me, is, Myth II is way fun. The WWII map Recon is way fun. So myth II is way fun. Its true though that the WWII recon map for myth II seems more of a vietnam variation, but this does not take away from its fun factor. As you can see from the screenshot above the WWII recon map is balls of fun.

It is true CM is a much much better game when it comes to true WWII battle. But thats what it was ment for right.