Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

"Amalgamation Post" or "My Sgt got kilt"

It occurs to me that shot up squads also represents units that may or may not have all their NCOs knocked off. And if that is the case then I propose something like having these remnants either become immobile (except for withdrawl), become absorbed into other squads of the platoon, or become absorbed into the plat HQ/ Coy HQ. Or maybe a combination of the above or maybe something someone else thinks of.

Just brainstorming here and not trying to get any of yas panties in a bunch BTW.

It just seems highly unrealistic (except for crack/elite perhaps) for units to be running all over the place when they are down to 2 or 3 men.

Lewis

Guest Germanboy

Is your Sgt. in the Coldstream Guards or the KOSB?

Seriously, I think this is a good idea, and there may have been a discussion on this already I am not aware of. So on danger of rehashing, I am just wondering whether that would not make the game unplayable for the attacker to begin with, b.c you would need a lot of additional squads to handle at the start for not a lot of return. I currently think of it as some sort of abstraction. Any thoughts?

------------------

Andreas

The battlefield is a confusing place...you've just lost most of your company, your cut off and pinned down. Why make it easy to re-group. I'm not saying that this never happened, but in the timescale of CM battles (let's say on average 30 mins) i doubt whether anyone unit had the time or opportunity to reorganise itself into another unit.

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS- The Source For CM Ops & Scenarios

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

I don't know about "immobile"

In the US everyone is encouraged to be a thinking soldier NCO or not right? I can't relate this to the period or anyone else though because I just don't know. Certainly a serious loss of intitiative could be there (No PVT left in charge wants to do any stupid like die) but when ORDERED to do something I beleive they should be able to perform as well as moral will permit.

However recombination is a great idea and a realistic result.

GreasyPig

just giving PVTs a little more credit. smile.gif

It'd be nice.

Here's how I'd like to see it done.

Squads:

Once BOTH leaders are gone,hit the squad with

a big morale penalty.maybe code it up to

where they behave as split squads.

Leaders:Once the Leader is dead (1 or 0 Pistols) all command bonuses instantly gone.

Probably coded in stone already,but,as I said....It'd be nice.

IIRC going back to a waaaaaaaay earlier email that I had sent to Steve and Charles when the UBB was down concerning this very issue.

In short the reason for not having squads/teams/units of any type merge was the fact regarding conflicts with thier expience levels and morale. Maybe if this stays up long enough they will go into greater detail, if not I can try and dig up that reply from Steve and Charles at work tomorrow since it's on my larger than life PST file. biggrin.gif

One of the wild things about the US Army in most wars is that no one,,,including our own commanders,,,really knows what the heck is gonna happen, when the battle actually starts. Since Company level officers and NCO's have a semi-short life expectancy, as much of the unit as possible is brought up to speed on the mission. This way the show goes on, when the guys with the bars and stripes are dispatched.

I just want to add that it isnt a regrouping or beneficial thing. Its actually reducing the units you can command to run about and reducing command and control. I guess once the squads/Hqs combine, they would have to be prevented from splitting!

Lewis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"My Sgt got kilt"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops, sorry, nothing to add here. I thought this was a thread on a new, and possibly disturbing, Scottish advertising campaign...

Carry on.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Durutti:

"My Sgt got kilt"

Nah, not the Coldstreams (English Regt.) obviously the Gordon Highlanders or some such. The KOSBs, like the Scots Guards, were a bunch of Lowlanders and wore tartan trews... smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't know about the KOSB, that was just a stab in the dark, but I am quite sure I saw a Coldstream Guard sergeant at the Armistice Day parade in Brecon last year wearing a kilt. There were also some Ghurkas parading - I would not want to get into trouble with them...

------------------

Andreas

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by :USERNAME::

You dont unnerstan he got kilt ded<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look Lewis, can you please leave Ded out of this, what has he ever done to you?

Please note that all smilies on this iBook were sown into kilts.

------------------

Andreas