One for the Grogs: New CM interface!

I'm running late, just enough time to tell you there is a new 'grog' style interface up on my website:

http://combatmission.ifrance.com/

No time to put screens up or anything until Monday, but I thought y'all would appreciate having this for the weekend! It's done in a green and brown style and there are several innovations, as usual. I think it's my best work yet, but I always think that. Check it out yourselves and let me know what you think! 101k in size.

My mail is still KO so comments go to

deanco@ifrance.com

for the time being. Enjoy!!!!

DeanCo--

deanco - I really like the unit interface displays. That's very good work! smile.gif

However, I'm not a fan of your Main Screen buttons. I think they should look like buttons. The rest of the Main Screen is just fine.

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop

Hi DeanCO,

I have downloaded and tried all three of your beautiful TC-mods, and they are all very very good. Thank you for all the hard work.

I am particulary fond of the grog-TC, but I have a small suggestion regarding the 'Fatigue' indicator. Maybe its because my english stinks but I have a hard time 'feeling' the difference between fatigue and tired. How about changing fatigue to 'winded' or something to that effect.

To me winded would be catching my breath after a sprint, tired would be sitting down for a while and weary would be needing a serious lie down and a cup off coffee.

Anyway just a shot at some constructive feedback redface.gif from a dedicated fan.

Thanks again and happy modding. smile.gif

Frans.

[This message has been edited by HawkerT (edited 10-06-2000).]

The amount of work you put into this is amazing.

A couple of things (just so that you won't be bored wink.gif):

1. I liked the health bars - they are gone in the Grog version. Any chance of adding them? How about a thin line beneath the text, going green to yellow to red (for morale) as well as possibly changing length? The fatigue status could use the same colours, as the text will differentiate between the two status bars.

2. And the stars for unit quality, that are an optional part of the healthbar mod, are gone too. I like these as well. The only thing is that I think they should all go left to right, not be centered, but that is a minor detail.

Thanks a lot for some great work smile.gif

HawkerT, I hate you. (not really) I hate you because I spent a good 45 minutes racking my brain for the perfect term to use to replace 'rested'. Here's a partial list of what I came up with.

Tiring

Exerting (you would not believe how stupid that looked in the game)

Action

Acting

Little Tired (too long)

Exertion (that one bit the dust fast)

and a few others....

....and here you come, out of the blue, with the PERFECT word to describe this state! Arrrgh!!! Seriously, HawkerT, brilliant idea. Try redownloading the mod in a few hours, it will be changed to 'winded'. And you'll have credit for this idea in the readme (once I put one in). Thanks for sharing that idea, I never would have thought of 'winded'.

Hi Robert Oleson,

If you want the healthbars, use the healthbar mod. Same goes for the stars. I made different styles so everyone can use what they like best. Most of those icons are 9 pixels high, and there's not enough room for a bar AND the text. With only 9 pixels to use it's a real challenge to find a typeface that is readable and looks war-like at the same time, much less put a bar in. Glad you like the mods though, enjoy!

DeanCo--

[This message has been edited by deanco (edited 10-06-2000).]

Loving it ! Loving it !

You are the main man DeanCO cool.gif

Glad I could be of any help. Thanks to you CM is made better and you just made my day a good one. I actually feel very proud to have contributed in my measly little way redface.gif. If you ever find yourself stuck with a word please dont hesitate mailing me - luck might just strike me again.

Thank you very much. I can't wait to redownload this beauty.

Frans smile.gif

Hi Robert,

You said,

But the stars should fit on top of the new background you made in the Grog mod.

---------------

Yep, they will, just fine. But for these small corrections it's better to just do it yourself, I don't have the time to release a version for every single person. Mail me and I will send you my original Photoshop copies, you can do as you please with them. OR you could try mixing and matching files from different versions. (This is something I haven't tried yet but I would be interested in knowing if anyone finds a good looking "hybrid" using this method.)

HawkerT,

Well, now you know how I feel when someone tells me, "I use your mod and like it". I'm proud and happy to contribute something to this great community. If you get more pleasure from the game because of me then I'm just happy as heck, I really am.

The new version is ready to go, HawkerT. Download away!

DeanCo--

[This message has been edited by deanco (edited 10-06-2000).]

Got it cool.gif.

Man I teel you I am rolling today. First this then just before I left work my boss gave me a raise. I'm even nearing my 30th post here whitch will make me a member (been here over a year). Heck ! before I know it I am probably going to be assimilated by the CM BORG ......... I'll tell you what ..... why don't one of the more daring amongst you just mail me a setup 'sdkfej@sdk.sas.com', and I will PBEM you like you have never been PBEM'ed before, but no rough stuff since it's my first time, and if you keep it small I'll even be able to ICQ U when the kids are sleeping.

Dang ! I'm feeling so lucky I think I can beat Fioon Kelly.

Thanks again DeanCo (you have 1'st priority if you dare send me that setup wink.gif)

This is the good life biggrin.gif

Frans

[This message has been edited by HawkerT (edited 10-06-2000).]