More Quick Battle Features I'd Love to See

I don't know about the rest of you, but when a Quick Battle gives me objectives to defend in a town at the crossroads, I tend to view all the roads entering my deployment area as potential axes of hostile advance, and position myself accordingly.

It would really help if the Quick Battle generator provided at least an arrow or some other indication of the expected direction of the incoming attack. As it is, these battles occur in an acute informational vacuum totally unlike the real world, unless fighting surrounded or completely devoid of any intel data. A generic briefing would be even more useful.

Also, we have no defensive options to speak of. We don't have concepts like avoid decisive engagement, hold position for X hours, delay from successive positions, etc. All we have is your basic do or die defense of the objective or objectives, which by the way seem to be sited in a way which makes little if any sense militarily.

Instead of seizing the crossroads or taking the high ground, which would be logical, the objective flag is not on the road, nor in a building, but in a hollow off the road. Anyone know why? I've seen this happen repeatedly.

Another thing which would be great would be a snatch mission in which the objective was to slip in, capture and bring back a prisoner. I have no idea how exactly to do this in CM. Any thoughts on this?

That's all I have for now.

Regards,

John Kettler

Guest Michael emrys

Some good points there, John. I too would like to see a bit more mission definition sometimes. In somewhat the same vein, I would like to see the terms Assault, Attack, and Probe more clearly defined as to what is expected of the player and what he in turn can expect. About all I have to go on now is Capture the Flag (or alternatively, prevent it from being captured).

BTW, I think the exact placement of objective flags is less critical than you may think. I believe that control is determined by who has the most good order units within "the vicinity" of the flag. Not sure quite what this means, but so far it's managed to work for me.

Would be nice to know how close you have to be to count and any other rules that determine possession of the objective. In one game, my victory level actually went down when, after capturing the flag, some of my units went haring off after some fleeing enemy units. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to securing the objective.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Kettler:

Another thing which would be great would be a snatch mission

John Kettler<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about you John,

But i've been on a never-ending snatch mission ever since i hit puberty wink.gif

------------------

The dead know only one thing - it is better to be alive