A possible source of the hamster myth

I must say I've been bemused recently by the constant reference to hamsters on this board. No matter what the topic starts on, it inevitably descends to an argument on the virtues of hamsters vs gerbils as fighting rodents, with various obviously doctored pictures proffered as rather shaky evidence by both sides.

I've been wondering what the source of this whole myth is, and I think I may have hit on something.

In an interview with a GrossDeutschland vet, the ex-soldier has this to say:

"I could be useful as a 'hamster' (one who collects food from local farmers to supplement food rations - a derogatory term)"

So it seems that rather than being the uber-soldiers some on this board seem to think, the so-called hamsters were in fact normal troops collecting food. And no, they didn't do this by stuffing the food in their cheeks.

See www.uwm.edu/~jpipes/interview6.html for more information.

Guest Rollstoy

From dict.leo.org :

English:........ German:

-----------------------------

to forage....... hamstern

stockpiling..... Hamstern

hamsters........ das Hamstern

A completely new aspect ...

[This message has been edited by Rollstoy (edited 09-29-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelU:

In an interview with a GrossDeutschland vet, the ex-soldier has this to say:

"I could be useful as a 'hamster' (one who collects food from local farmers to supplement food rations - a derogatory term)"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This vet should be taken out and shot!!! He knows that our policy of dis-information regarding "das Hamstern" is still in effect!

Well, now that the Hamster is out of the bag, so to speak: How better to hide the elite status of the troops than by assigning them seemingly innocuous details when otherwise not occupied.

This used to be one of our best held secrets during the war. Das Hamstern was one of the most secret branches of the Brandenburger division, which often operated behind enemy lines, hiding in slippers in the enemy's closets to retrieve vital military intelligence, chewing through telephone lines to disrupt communications, and performing other covert operations of espionage and sabotage.

I cannot confirm or deny the existance of Das Hampstern. To the best of my recollection I have no knowledge of such activities. If such activities took place, they were not under my authority to direct. I was only following orders and at no time was I given an order to participate, direct, or coordinate activities involving Das Hampstern, which I have previously stated I have no knowledge of.

smile.gif

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

the mother of all hamster posts

OR

the penultimate hamster post

OR

there had to have been a second hamster, there in the driver's hatch!

a possible origin?

"ss are overpriced hamsters" http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/007449.html

posted 07-15-2000 06:00 PM

and now onto the prosecution:

"I cannot confirm or deny the existance of Das Hampstern. To the best of my recollection I have no knowledge of such activities. If such activities took place, they were not under my authority to direct. I was only following orders and at no time was I given an order to participate, direct, or coordinate activities involving Das Hampstern, which I have previously stated I have no knowledge of."

-Bruno Weiss

so mr. weiss, you state you had no knowledge yet this post from 09-25-2000 09:36 PM has the following statement by you, under your handle!

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/010914.html

"A moment of silence please for all the Hampsters who perished in the habitrails..."

now were you lying then or ARE YOU LYING NOW!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

(yes, i have gone completely f---ing insane. but wait, there's more)

posted 09-26-2000 02:23 AM

citizen said that the hamsters were in the start-up screen, which i have posted and highlighted for convenience:

and there in the driver's hatch, there had to have been a second hamster!

11002.gif

hopefully i didn't put up that naked picture of me by accident that's my startup screen...

or

hopefully this is new knowledge that was overlooked...

or

edited to remove ramblings about the coming millenium in 2001 and to fix img url

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

[This message has been edited by russellmz (edited 09-29-2000).]

It was to combat anti-Hamsterite scum like you that the HLF was founded in the first place. We know who you are and we are everywhere. You cannot hide from us. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Professor Doktor Hamster X

Generalissimo and President-for-Life

Hamster Liberation Front

1-800-HAMSTER

Wherever You Go, There We Areâ„¢

Ahemm, sniff, blubbabogleoble, screeeech, (adjusting the microphone height)... Ah, Herr Prosecutor mein Herr, zat, zat vould depend upon vas zee defination of ist ist. Let let let me make zis perfectly clear, (looking directly into the camera), I did not have sex mit zat Hampster!

You, your, your own truppen vould have rrreacted in a similar manner, vee vere all engaged in a defense of our sovernity. Every lil bundeschwere vas expected to do his duty under penality of zee law. Vee vere soldaten, und besides I like apple pie und baseball...phooey on das Hampstern, eechhach spitew!

smile.gif

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 09-29-2000).]

Say "Vas" again! C'mon, say "Vas" again! I dare ya, I double dare ya motherf---er, say "Vas" one more gall-durn time![Pulp Fiction]

i vant the truth![A Few Good Men]

don't vait for zee translazion ANSWER ME NOW![star Trek VI, sort of]

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

Hamsters are of course not a myth.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is, however, some remaining question regarding naked mole rats.

Michael