Dust clouds

In hot dry weather driving a vehicle 'fast' raises dust- a particlular problem in the Normandy campaign. Enemy foo would happily target these clouds.

Are dust clouds currently modelled implicity in CM and if not are there any plans to do so for the current CM ie 1.xx

Presumably this is something that will need to be addressed for CM (3?) desert war.

------------------

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

Uh.... I could see dust clouds being a issue in North Africa but as far as Normandy goes there were not too many hot,dry days that acctually had landscape that would raise a dust cloud. Maybe a dirt road would but otherwise I couldnt see this being a major strategic issue.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by V B:

Uh.... I could see dust clouds being a issue in North Africa but as far as Normandy goes there were not too many hot,dry days that acctually had landscape that would raise a dust cloud. Maybe a dirt road would but otherwise I couldnt see this being a major strategic issue.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Afraid I must disagree here - I have read it was a problem in Normandy too. Don't ask me where though.

------------------

Andreas

VB,

Uh..what??

The weather during the summer of 44 was the hottest for 50 years.

Normandy was/is a rural/agricultural region and in 1944 only the major road were paved, cobbled or covered in Tarmac.

It would not be a major strategic issue but certainly, IMHO, a relevant tactical issue.

------------------

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

[This message has been edited by KiloIndiaAlpha (edited 06-27-2000).]

[This message has been edited by KiloIndiaAlpha (edited 06-27-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KiloIndiaAlpha:

Push up for any more comments.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's a good idea, and could be implemented as a sort of low-grade smoke. Tigers on the Prowl by HPS has this feature, and it adds an interesting additional layer of evaluation while planning an attack... do I have my flanking force put the pedal to the metal (and risk giving away their position), or do I keep them slow and sneaky (with the possibility of being late)? Also, the dust clouds can be used to obscure your forces while on the attack.

I have no information on whether dust clouds were a frequent feature on the Western Front, but it seems like a good idea to implement in CM2. I'd rather have BTS working on CM2 rather than adding more features to an already feature-rich product (CM 1).

Ah, this is simply a case of "can't do everything first time around"....

Also, this isn't as much of an issue ON the front lines.. In Normandy dust clouds were an issue since they showed where supply convoys were.. On the front lines dust clouds played a MINOR part in any battle ( TINY even).

On the Eastern front with the much larger scale usage of tanks en masse dust clouds were important at the tactical level simulated in CM but not so much here on the Western Front.

Guest Madmatt

And to add what Fionn said, this WAS COVERED in an earlier thread... Search Function...Its whats for dinner!

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing