Infantryleader

Hiya guys.

A question. I have played CM for a while now and somehow it seems I am really good in leading all kinds of infantry but I just SUCK at leading tanks in an assault. Any tips? Somehow luck seems never to be on my side, Any tips on hull down and stuff? I cant seem to get that right either.

But oh well if we are talking infantry here, I sure kick some butts, right before this post my Veteran Wehrmacht Rifle Squad took out a Super Pershing with the first shot they took at it, lol, call that a turning point.

Does anyone experience the same, I mean, being strong with one particular part of the troop and sucky at another?

Thanks for reading.

------------------

Vorwaerts, ihr Waschlappen!

Guest Rommel22

Sure, If tanks are going against infantry you want the Armor farther away from crowded places, or BANG. There goes your KT. The best thing to do is scout ahead and then send your armour through. You want the enemy armour engaged with maybe your troops to distract the enemy Armor, you send your tank and Bang. Just keep armor at a distance if going against infatry.

Sometimes a good thing is to plce infantry units on the back of a tank, i do almost all the time, sure bring support to the battle fast. But you gotta watch or alse those troops can be killed very quickly.

Good luck

------------------

From the Das Reich book as said by a German soldier

"when the Russians reached us, we opened fire, the first wave had no weapons.

The second wave didn't either (fire fodder). The 3rd and 4th had weapons and opened fire on us.

By this time we were low on ammo, but we drove them back."

Possible gamey tactic: ( wink.gif )

Since the current game engine does not allow infantry riding on vehicles to fire or be targeted, if you button up your vehicles that have infantry on them, they will not be fired on until they disembark (or the vehicle is destroyed). Any small arms or artillery fire at the vehicle will affect them, though.

Note: The "gamey" part is buttoning up. If the tank/HT/etc. is unbuttoned, infantry will be able to target it and the fire will affect its passengers. Some people may not be bothered by this, but I have been ever since I figured it out.

BTS: "Please fix! Or do somefink!"

(still my favorite one-liner from the board) biggrin.gif

------------------

Cats aren't clean, they're covered with cat spit.

SSS - It's experience and practice. You can't use your 'tools' the same way for all situations. Sometimes infantry supports tanks and sometimes tanks support infantry. Tanks support assault guns and tank destroyers support tanks. Keep your armor at arms length from infantry and never put them in a position to be surprised by the grunts. It's not a bad idea to assign an infantry squad to protect a precious armored asset. But in all cases it's the situation that dictates the tactics. Good hunting! smile.gif

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop

Snake,

Sounds good.

What I meant is more that, it somehow seems that enemy tanks just always are luckier and get a better shot at my armor. Any tips there? About Hull-Down, where does it say or how do I see whether I am in a hull down position?

Germanboy, thanks, cih nehme an Du stammst aus Deutschland? Bin aus der kleinen Schweiz, lebe aber ueberm grossen Teich smile.gif

------------------

Vorwaerts, ihr Waschlappen! Zeigen wir's dem Ivan!

SSS - I find it very difficult to get into a hull down postion. I HUNT my way up a slope and let the TacAI do its work. But it's a crap shoot. Keep in mind that if you fail in your hull down attempt, you're a sitting duck. It's probably not worth the risk. The best thing to do is scout out the enemy before committing. Patience is the keyword here. Generally there is plenty of time alloted in a scenario, so use it.

The Allies want to get in close with their 76's and 75's. At <500 meters they're pretty effective, and the Firefly's gun is as good as a Panther's. The Allies' turret speed and ROF are their strongest assets. The Germans want to keep their distance and take advantage of their better guns and armor. If you find an enemy AFV lurking in a good position, don't let it get the first shot. Use OBA or an Anti-Tank Team to force it to leave its position, then try to trap it. Don't forget about smoke. If he can't see you, he can't hit you. But neither can you. So use it wisely. smile.gif

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop

Great reward can be yours but take the time to get down on the ground and "walk" where you want to send your armor. You'd be surprised how much cover can be missed from Level 3 and even 2 in viewing the terrain. Many times you can appear in one place shoot and scoot to another taking advantage of the terrain and the opponet never sees you doing it.

But ya got to go over the ground several times, and think through your movement