crew-served weapon crews w/o small arms

Guest Scott Clinton

Mi_Go:

You have entirely missed the point on why the use of crews as ad-hoc infantry is gamey.

It has NOTHING to do with how effective they would be.

It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that it simply did not happen in reality except in VERY, VERY rare circumstances.

Hell, a good portion of the time the crews for armored vehicles were not even under the command of the INFANTRY Company/Bat commander that is the overall commander in most CM games.

The fact is that 99% of the time crews from bailed out vehicles and crews from large crew served weapons would either hunker down or head for the rear for more ammo when their weapon was no longer serviceable.

You must keep in mind the time span represented in CM (20-40 minutes). It would be VERY rare for a crew to 'convert' into ad hoc infantry in that span of time.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Mi_GO, I doubt that a company commander would endanger weapons crews in a "take that hill" charge.

a) Those crews are NOT trained as foot soldiers--there's a big difference between a line infantryman and a member of a guncrew holding a rifle.

B) Those crews ARE trained to serve GUNS, and if they die, no line infantryman can take their place. Would you ask a pilot and a member of his ground crew to switch roles?

c) If that gun is out of ammo, it's most probably because it just spent half an hour shooting it at the bad guys while getting shot at, smoked, and shelled just like the infantrymen. If that gun crew is sitting there in a building cause its gun is destroyed, then the gun crew is probably of ZERO military effectiveness, rather than lesser military effectiveness.

DjB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Just for the record, since I assume it was my Panther, I did not give the crew an order to go after the zook team. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't mean it that way, I was assuming TacAI just sent

them rushing into nearest cover.