Friendly fire possibilities

is there any practicle way to model friendly

fire such as in scenarios against the computer, your reserves come in pre-programmed but you don't actually contact

or identify them until a turn or two later.

Or perhaps your troops (even though you

can see all your troops) at night might

have a slight probability of firing at your

own side (esp if the squad is not really close by (or in a continuous link) with other squads. this might be higher with green troops? You might incorporate a random but usually small amount of time before it realizes it is firing on its own side?

Likewise a tank might fire at another tank (at night of course)

Oh, friendly fire sure does happen, and believe me, you smack things when it does. Usually happens only with inexperienced troops, and usually only in dark or foggy conditions. Seeing that targeting line from your MG snap to the heroic squad you just displaced gives true meaning to the "sinking feeling." I've never seen friendly fire between tanks, but I guess it's possible.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

How about friendly fire casualties when moving in/through the field of fire?

I mean like when I order 2 squads to assault an enemy while other units suppress that enemy by shooting down the path used by the assaulters.

I've used this tactics a couple of times without noticing any FF losses. (But if there were any losses to friendly fire I may have thought them to be inflicted by the enemy...)

Cheers

Olle

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

How about friendly fire casualties when moving in/through the field of fire?

I mean like when I order 2 squads to assault an enemy while other units suppress that enemy by shooting down the path used by the assaulters.

I've used this tactics a couple of times without noticing any FF losses. (But if there were any losses to friendly fire I may have thought them to be inflicted by the enemy...)

Cheers

Olle<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had this happen with area fire. For instance, using a squad to area fire on a building into which I'm moving another squad. If I don't time it correctly, the moving squad can take hits. I've never seen the same thing happen with direct fire, however.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

I just recently finished a PBEM and believe me, a battalion of conscript troops, deep fog and heavy forest don't mix

------------------

The names Ash, Housewares

mgwhore.gif

[This message has been edited by Ash (edited 08-17-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

It does.

I have seen a embarked HQ unit on a StuG cross through the tracer stream of a MG-42 direct firing on a enemy unit. The HQ took 75% casulities in a split second.

Friendly fire DOES happen.

It happens much more frequently at night and in those situations its not just units taking fire directed at other units, its units FIRING on friendlies because they are misidentified.

Someone recently created a night heavy fog scenario to check friendly fire. They set up a defense and had friendly units approach from the rear. They repeatedly fired on each other as the one unit moved into the others zone.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Guest Michael emrys

I recently had a friendly fire episode. I moved a halftrack full of infantry up to a tree line and debarked the infantry into the trees where they immediately began taking casualties. I replayed the video over and over trying to figure out where the hell the fire was coming from and who was shooting at them. There were no yellow lines indicating incoming. It wasn't until I clicked on Done that the fire line coming from the halftrack became visible.

I had ordered it to spray the tree line with area fire to suppress any enemy units that might be hiding there, assuming that it would cease fire as soon as its passengers moved into the line of fire. Such was not the case.

Lesson learned: Wait until the following turn to debark your passengers *after* you have ordered *all* units area firing into that vicinity to cease or shift fire. They aren't smart enough to do so on their own.

Michael