River Texture survey!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CoolColJ:

I have a new river colour - Its a bit browner and greener. I think its about as dark and brown as I wanna go, since any browner and it'll look like a dirt road wink.gif

Do you guys want it darker still?

Its still rough - but it'll give you an idea

Opinions?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want a good reference, check out some of the French impressionist water paintings. If you don't have a book full of them on your coffee table, any half-decent book store or library will. Monet would recognize your river, but he'd probably say that's in the South of France smile.gif. Very nice though. Love the building textures.

Ethan

------------------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

CCJ,

You keep on improving each time you go back to work on them! eek.gif Your latest effort (http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj/CCJ_River4.jpg) is excellent. You have "dirtied up" the colour and done an excellent job of blending the tile edges with each other (no more wave look). It is a VAST improvement on the original CM demo tile! It will be difficult for you (I imagine) to improve on what you have already done.

You are definitely on the right track with the colour. I would agree with your suggestion of trying darkening the river more. It wouldn't hurt to experiment.

BTW...your "CM wallpaper" is a work of art! The detail and look of those buildings is superb. I noticed how you have softened the sharp look of the buildings by extending grass/moss/greenstuff up around the bases of the building tiles...another one of those simple/minor tweaks that impact heavily on the "look" of the game. Genius!

Lt. Bull

[This message has been edited by Lt Bull (edited 02-29-2000).]

I'm at two minds here - I have to agree with Eridani, when I see the CCJ_River4.jpg, I know its a river - even though its not as realistic, but for game applications, it works well.

I could darker still, I have plenty of river pics now, and some are almost black, but the thing I notice is, they all have reflections! THat is something I can't even begin to emulate in CM, due to the tiles system frown.gif If it were a static set river, then I could give it a shot. But with tiles, they will be rearranged per map, and the drawn in reflections will sure look weird wink.gif

But I'll see.... biggrin.gif

Lt.Bull I'm glad you like the wallpaper, I'll have some more soon smile.gif I recommend getting Webshots( http://www.webshots.com ) to display them, awesome wallapaper utility! One you have a few Cm wallappers, it can do funky things like cycling them every 5 mins or whatever, plus webshots has a huge library of backdrop pics, but being a ww2 freak, I'll soon be doing some colourised WW2 photo wallpaper!

Ps - I have some new pics that might surprise you people smile.gif Head to my gallery!

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there, or grab a CM Wallpaper! tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 02-29-2000).]