(Very newbie) Questions

Let me start by saying I really love this

game, even just the demo.

A couple of questions:

1. How/Why do enemy Shermans manage

to see my hidden snipers and panzershreik?

2. How do I arrange indirect fire from artillery and mortars? I have found that the

Mortar team seem to need LOS but I want to

hide them behind a hill with a spotter above.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Perhaps this is just a gamey thing, but even infantry are going to have a real problem spotting a decent sniper.

Also, my Panzershreik were located in buildings with Rifle companies and tanks

could distinguish between them at long range!

Do the fog of war settings affect this?

The FOW setting will determine how well you and your opponent ID units. With full FOW, your schreck team could be identified as either:

Infantry?

Team

Anti-Tank Team

Panzerschreck Team

How well it's ID'd depends on a lot of things. But remember, just because you've ordered a unit to "hide" doesn't mean it's hidden... even in a building. If you're close to the edge of the building there's not a lot of cover there.

I don't know exactly how the AI works, but if it's ID'd your schreck as at least a "team" they might give them priority over an infantry squad. I probably would.

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast

Thanks Daveman.

I'll try out the FOW settings. After playing the game for a short time I have no doubt the AI has a priority target list, AT being high up.

I got frustrated when trying to way-lay infantry and tanks with hidden units, that turned out not to be hidden at all.

Mr Smith wrote:

> even infantry are going to have a real problem spotting a decent sniper.

There are no snipers in Combat Mission, only sharpshooters. They are not highly-trained in the art of stealth and camouflage, they just happen to be able to shoot well.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

One thing -- if your run a unit (or fast move an armored unit) you are more likely to get detected and identfied, and then that sticks to you unless you go sneaking through some big woods. So you sneak through the open and someone hears you you get an ?Infantrry designation. You run from cover to cover and you become an antitank team. You run into a house and hide, you are still an antitank team, just not one whose location is clearly known.