What I miss from early CM games

LC-

The thing I miss the most moving forward into the new engine is the information screen we had in game when we selected a unit and hit the enter key.  I liked seeing the armor penetrating abilities of bazooka at different ranges,I liked seeing the hit probabilities and kill chances.  

I know it's long gone but any thoughts on bringing those back in new engines someday?  

Steve has explained that that is not really practical. Penetration for even one weapon vs. one aspect of one vehicle is still too complicated to fit all the possibilities in any screen that would fit on the screen. CMx1 had it only because so much was fudged in that game, one more approximation wasn't going to disturb the waters much. But CMx2 went to a higher fidelity style of modeling where fudging in that way would just tend to throw the whole thing off and you would start getting outcomes that didn't match what the tables were predicting. You've both been around long enough to be able to imagine the howls of outrage that would cause. Lots of unhappy campers on that bus...

Michael

53 minutes ago, LC- said:

I agree and understand, just saying how nice of a feature that was and it added a little bit of knowledge for me on some weapon systems I didn't understand or know about before. 

Sure, and I agree with that. CMx1 was like kindergarten for this kind of gaming. It kind of babied us, and I for one loved it for that. CMx2 was like graduating to middle school where you have to do actual academic work. It was a hard transition for many, but I think we have crossed that bridge and I wouldn't go back even if I could (except mainly for laughs at Larry, Curly, and Moe).

Michael