Are Mortars More Likely to Abandon Their Weapons?

An interesting question and one that has been at the back of my mind is the following:

Are mortar crews more likely to abandon their weapons than other crew serviced weapons? (e.g. MGs or AT/INF guns)

I did a quick check using a custom map with 1. 60mm VET mortar and 1917MG crews

2. Mortars in command radius of a Platoon HQ

3. Mortars hiding in woods

4. Woods under LOS 81mm mortar barrage

I ran this through a couple of times and it seems that the mortars were twice as likely to abandon their weapons as the MGs.

Any FACTUAL input from the BTS crew?

Is this an artifact of statistics? Historically were mortar crews more likely to bug out?

A forum search has revealed little information on this topic.

Cheers

Claymore

------------------

he which maketh the first assault doth endanger himselfe most (sometimes)

Guest Big Time Software

Hehe... actually, MG teams NEVER abandon their weapons. The reason for this is rather complicated (i.e. coding reasons), but the upshot is that we are looking into fixing this for CM2.

There should be no difference in chance of two team served weapons (excepting MGs/PersonalAT teams), with the same crew size and in the same situation, abandoning their weapons.

However... many AT guns do have an armored shield, whereas a mortar does not. This can make a difference if the attacking unit is small arms based. This is logical since a mortar team has NO protection while an AT gun has at least some (front, not very thick).

Steve