Strategy for Le Hamelet w/out any engineer satchels

So I'm really bad at CM games but am strangely addicted to them anyway. I'm trying my hand at Road to Montebourg for the millionth time and totally mismanaged my engineer units so I have nothing to blast hedgerows with going into Le Hamelet. I did a couple test runs and it seems that every murder hole lives up to its name and the only option is to maybe lay down covering fire thru the first hedgerow and advanced via the far left of the map, but I'd love to hear any other tactical suggestions.

If you have no demolition charges, you only have two choices: Go north then turn right and fight your way up along the road, or turn east from your starting position and go across the big open fields.

I can't rememberĀ if there are several different AI plans in that mission, but I would say the road is a bad choice in any case, the terrain is really dense and full of ambush points that makes it difficult to use your Shermans. You have lots of armour in this mission, go the route that allows you to use that - the fields.