Waypoint bug ?

15 hours ago, noob said:

I have just played a CMBN battle that involved a lot of traffic management, and I was constantly dogged by waypoints that would shift position, or disappear.
Is this a bug ?

Were they disappearing during an orders phase, or between one orders phase and the next? The TacAI will sometimes cancel orders if it can't see a way to complete them, or if it thinks completing them is too dangerous. So if you've got a congested traffic situation, in a tight spot, it may  be that the orders are being dropped because there's simply too much in the way.

Another possibility might be if you're using multi-select: it's easy to miss that you've included units you didn't actually intend to in a multi-select order, and that can cause all sorts of issues :) This is the only way I can think of that orders will be "modified" during an orders phase.

Thanks for the reply.

The situation arises when multiple waypoints are stacked on top of each other, irrespective of danger, or tight spots.
What I will do is play the same battle in hotseat mode, and recreate the traffic situation under safe conditions, and see if I get the same results.

I'm aware of the pitfalls of multiple selections, so I always re check all my units paths before hitting the red button.

Edited by noob

2 hours ago, noob said:

Thanks for the reply.

The situation arises when multiple waypoints are stacked on top of each other, irrespective of danger, or tight spots.
What I will do is play the same battle in hotseat mode, and recreate the traffic situation under safe conditions, and see if I get the same results.

I'm aware of the pitfalls of multiple selections, so I always re check all my units paths before hitting the red button.

So, do they vanish while you're still issuing orders, or are they just "dropped" by the unit during the minute you have to be hands-off? I haven't encountered such a phenomenon, that I have noticed, and I habitually plot extensive multi-minute movement paths for 5 or more elements along the same rough route. I don't think I very often stack more than a couple of waypoints right on top of each other though; they're usually just "close".

The waypoints disappear during the playback, as once the next move turn after the playback is accessed, the waypoint shift is apparent, forcing me to replot. 

Also, it only happens when I create two long travel paths, divided by one or more long short paths, when driving units through gaps in hedges, walls, etc, or to cut the corners of roads.

One of the short path waypoints disappears, thus straightening out the travel line, resulting in a more severe turning circle, which throws out paused movement calculations for preceding vehicles, resulting in jams.