Kind of ironic

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/marines-investigating-claim-men-iwo-jima-photo-214925961.html

In 2014, Krelle had told the newspaper, "People can hold onto what they have always known in the past. But to me, the photos are the truth."

Discrepancies identified by Krelle and Foley included:

— Bradley wore uncuffed pants in the famous photo but other pictures shot that day shows in him tightly cuffed pants.

— The bill of a cap is visible beneath the helmet in the flag-raising picture but not in other images of Bradley made that day.

— The man identified as Bradley is wearing a cartridge belt with ammunition pouches, and a pair of wire cutters hangs off the belt. But as a Navy corpsman, Bradley would typically be armed with a sidearm, not an M-1 rifle, and he'd have no need for wire cutters. Other photos that day show him wearing what appears to be a pistol belt with no ammo pouches.

Bradley's son, James Bradley, wrote a best-selling book about the flag raisers, "Flags of Our Fathers," which was later made into a movie directed by Clint Eastwood.

Bradley told the AP he was shocked to hear the Marines were investigating the identity of the men.

"This is unbelievable," said Bradley, who interviewed the surviving Marines and Rosenthal before writing his book.

"I'm interested in facts and truths, so that's fine, but I don't know what's happening," he added.

The Marines didn't give a timeline for its investigation.