American infantry

db_zero

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I would like to see more flexibility when splitting US infantry. Unless I'm doing something wrong it appears they can only be split into 2 elements. I split into a scout or AT team and the remaining element can't be broken down further.

If I just split the unit I only get 2 elements. Come to think of it the Russians and Ukrainians also, but for the US player who in general has less units to work with it can be a real disadvantage and unless I'm mistaken aren't the Westerns armies more flexible and have more initiative? Perhaps its doctrine or something else I'm unaware of but, I would think you could break up an infantry unit and get 3 elements like I can get from the WW2 games.

One other thing that needs to get tweaked is the IFV's need to use their ATGMs against tanks more often. Seems like the weapon of choice is the rapid fire cannon.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I would like to see more flexibility when splitting US infantry. Unless I'm doing something wrong it appears they can only be split into 2 elements. I split into a scout or AT team and the remaining element can't be broken down further.

If I just split the unit I only get 2 elements. Come to think of it the Russians and Ukrainians also, but for the US player who in general has less units to work with it can be a real disadvantage and unless I'm mistaken aren't the Westerns armies more flexible and have more initiative? Perhaps its doctrine or something else I'm unaware of but, I would think you could break up an infantry unit and get 3 elements like I can get from the WW2 games.

Pretty sure it's an engine limitation. You can only split a squad into as many teams as it originally (presumably according to "official T.O.") has when it spawns on the map. Modern squads are smaller than WW2 squads, so have fewer teams. In the WW2 titles, you can only split 3 teams out of a 3 team squad; many squads don't have the ability to go to three teams, though most US ones do. While I think we'd all appreciate more flexibility at this level, where historically appropriate, it's a little bit finer granularity than the engine is designed for. In SF, the USMC uses 12 man, three team squads, and can split into 3 teams. If the USMC still use the large squad format, I expect they'll be able to split like a WW2 US infantry squad.

I suppose an 8 man squad could be designated as 2 teams of 3 and a team of 2, and I don't know for sure what criteria BFC have applied to decide that it isn't so, but I imagine it's based on official TOs and doctrines, like how many NCOs there are in the squad. If the Elite Special Forces make an appearance, maybe they'll be split into three teams to represent the high proportion of NCOs, with more than one "Asst".

In the USMC, when I was in 2/3 our squad size was mission dependant, it's generally 12 but I've seen as large as 18 when I took part in ts-15 ops with the ADF. Most squads larger than 12 are attached elements but are organised into fireteams that'll maneuver like the rest of the squad, its very plug and play.

Edited by Oakheart
engrish