The use of 3D and a question for Fionn, Martin and others

Hawk

While reading through the new preveiw at thegamers.net (excellent work Fionn!) I suddenly remembered something I now find quite funny.

Early last year (February the 18th, 1998 to be exact) I posted this in a forum on Computer Games Online where we discussed what we wanted to see in Steel Panthers IV:

"Regarding 3D: you could remove the game map completely (only using a small overview map) and see/do everything (as well as planning moves and attacks) through the "eyes" of the units."

There where several others hwo suggested similar things, but many where dead set against it. I seems we had to get another game to get our will... smile.gif I've even spotted at least one from this forum there.

Ok, my question: What tool(s) can be used to grab screenshots from CM? I've tried Paintshop Pro 5, but it can't handle it. What did you use Fionn and Martin?

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason "why", our's is but to do and die!

Pretty simple to get screenshots. Fionn mentioned in another thread how to do it.

1: Get the camera positioned on a shot you like. During the replay, this may require lots of pausing.

2: Hit the <Print Screen> key.

3: Hit <Esc> to minimize Combat Mission

4:Start up PaintShop Pro 5 (Or you favorite picture editing program)

5: Click the Edit button

6: Click Paste As New Image

I use PS Pro 4 so I'm guessing that steps 5&6 will be the same for you. For others, hitting Print Screen sends the image to the clipboard, so whatever brings data off of the clipboard should work.

It's really easy to do. I did up an entire AAR. Got some cool screenshots, too.

Jason

So the key mentioned in step 2 is the "print screen" key? And yes, it sure takes a lot of re-runs and pausing the get that special shot (like when Hr. Fritz gets a 75mm HE right between the eyes smile.gif)

Thanks Jason!

Hawk

------------------

Nope, it's still in the design stage (at best)..

You won't see it in the year 2000 in any case 2001 is the earliest, maybe later if at all.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

ARRRGGGHHH!!

I put the words "Print Screen" in between "<" and ">" to set it apart from the rest of the sentence. Little did I know that it would not show up. I did the same with the "Escape" key.

Step two is hit "Print Screen"

Step three is hit "Escape"

That should clear things up.

Jason

Jason, I tried it, but for some reason I only manage to capture whatever screen is "behind" CM (i.e. the desktop if CM is the only program I'm running). Perhaps this is because I'm running CM on an old Voodoo 1 card (Diamond Monster 3D).

Anyway, thanks again.

Hawk

------------------

I think some other people were having this problem, too. I don't recall what the solution (if any) was. You might try using the "search" function and see what that brings up.

If you are using PSPro 5 you can always try using the screen capture function. I used that at first with PSPro 4. It was a bit of a hassle, but it worked reasonably well.

You mentioned that you tried using PSPro 5 but it didn't work. What wasn't working? Just curious.

Jason

When using the internal PSP5 screen-grabber I would only manage to capture whatever was "behind" the CM screen (i.e. the desktop if nothing else was running).

Could it be due to me using non-standard mouse drivers (more specifically Logitech's drivers for their wheel-mouse)?

Did you run the game in hardware or software mode, Jason?

Hawk

------------------

Guest Big Time Software

I think HyperSnapz (or something like that smile.gif) has a special feature to allow screengrabs from Voodoo1 and 2 cards.

Steve

Been there, done that! smile.gif

Have downloaded the HyperSnap thingy and will test it tonight. PSP5 doesn't seems to handle anything related to hardware accelerating.

Thanks for helping me, folks! smile.gif

Hawk

------------------