Normal Maps not showing

BarbaricCo

Hi

After messing little bit with shaders (http://bit.ly/1j00Yds) thought it would be cool to add normal maps to roads and backgrounds. As far as I read it, Battlefront tried it few years ago and put it on hold for obvious performance reasons. But regarding Moore’s Law maybe its time to do it. All of this normal mapping will give us nice soft shadows and details. Compare shadows of the soldiers on vehicle and shadows of the vehicle on the roads.

Problem is I just can’t get normal maps working

- in “z” folder

- if file is “window 1.bmp” than normal map is named “window 1_normal map.bmp”

- normal maps generated with CrazyBump Mac beta and NormalMappr OS X (booth exporting png-s that I later saved as bmp - could this be the problem?)

For roads maybe it’s problem because that they are not enabled for using normal maps, but can’t even get it working for objects already with normal maps.

Can someone with experience answer or give some good advice

Thanks

Recreated effects in Unity with CM textures

1CM_Roads_Unity_noNormalMap.jpg

no normal maps

2CM_Roads_Unity_NormalMap.jpg

with normal maps (would be great to see jagdpanther on this road)

CM1_normalsUnity_default_textures.jpg

default (this building already have normal maps in CM)

CM3_normalsUnity_NormalMapper_textures.j

just little bit stronger (but not loading in CM)

I´d suspect there´s simply no code in the game that reads any extra map file info, incl. channels and external normal maps for various objects, but also terrain tiles. Think if any such modding possibilities exist, somebody would have figured it out already since the game was published first time. So we´re stuck with hardcoded limitations unfortunately.

I´d suspect there´s simply no code in the game that reads any extra map file info, incl. channels and external normal maps for various objects, but also terrain tiles. Think if any such modding possibilities exist, somebody would have figured it out already since the game was published first time. So we´re stuck with hardcoded limitations unfortunately.

@MikeyD already did it:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/107521-jagdpanther-missing-normal-map/

But I can't get it wotking neither for objects already with normal maps (vehicles, units, buildings...)?

@MikeyD already did it:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/107521-jagdpanther-missing-normal-map/

But I can't get it wotking neither for objects already with normal maps (vehicles, units, buildings...)?

Yup. I meant those objects and terrain, that weren´t officially supported by BFC yet. I haven´t yet worked with or created normal maps. From looking at normal map files in the game (i.e w_normalmap.tga, for water texture) I just notice that it´s *.tga file format and size 1024x1024. I have no idea what actual conventions are for OpenGL normal map textures and procedures, but that shouldn´t be too hard to find out.