Road to Nijmegen - spotting / targeting oddity?

I've had some time off school so I started up "The Road to Nijmegen" Allied campaign for the Market Garden module. Really enjoying it a lot, although I had a spotting oddity occur during "The check at Hoek" mission. 

I had a Sherman tank peaking through a tree line (under cover). 700 m away is a German 88 emplacement, previously spotted by infantry across the map. My Sherman was concealed behind a set of structures that was about 150 m from the 88 (~550 m from my tank). The 88 somehow gets a spot on the Sherman and destroys it. The projectile passes clean through the roof of one of the buildings. 

This definitely took me by surprise, as I was fairly confident in my tank being well protected (and physically unseeable, with the buildings laying in the way). I know that everything in this game is more-or-less abstracted to some degree, but this was a little disconcerting considering I had other tanks that I felt were positioned just as well as this one. 

I didn't think to take screen pics until the following turn, but this will give an idea of what it looks like:

Down the barrel of the 88:

14kgug9.jpg

Screen angled up a few degrees to show destroyed tank, starting to burn:

1zfl6pe.png

Map shot of range and buildings:

nv6wrq.png

Here is a link to the saved file:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7fmhblfokdds8ys/AACWV-lDDR9aen_ymYUgED4Ra?dl=0

This save is from the following turn. The tank has started to burn, but the 88 takes an identical shot at the retreating vehicle crew. 

Any thoughts? I've decided it was a lucky Luftwaffe attack and moved on.