Hidden question and stuff

I just played a hotseat game with myself (I kicked my own ass pretty good) because I wanted to see how some of what I was doing looked to my opponant. two issues came up.

1. Although I had units hidden I saw empty foxholes where I knew they were. When playing against a human I would think this is now something I will look for because as far as I have seen the only place there are foxholes is where units are.

2. I have had NO sucess with ambushes. So I set one up and moved a haftrack into it on purpose....the bazooka team did not fire at the ambush..I made sure be fore I did this that no one would be in the LOS of the ambusher and that he would be in perfect order.

Have any of these issues come up before and are they being dealt with. I know that the bazooka/faust picking better target thing has been brought up but this seems like a different deal.

Thanks

Elvis out

Guest Big Time Software

Seems to be a Beta thing. I just played hotseat against myself to see if this stuff happened, and the foxholes didn't show up and the ambush was triggered. I sacrificed a perfectly good Tiger for this too, so I hope you appreciate the importance I attached to your report wink.gif

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 11-22-99).]

Ok I'm almost certain I know what you're doing wrong.

1. If units are hiding in foxholes it is quite common to spot the foxholes before you'd spot the units hiding in them. IF you see foxholes it's a golden opportunity to bring some tank and MG fire on them and rush forward to anihilate the enemy before he even knows he's spotted wink.gif

2. Did you order the bazooka team to target the ambush marker? If not you NEED to tell the zook to target the marker.

Note: Your platoon HQ can set up 3 or 4 ambushes and assign a different squad or zook team to each (I've used this in the past on PBEM opponents).

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

1: it was turn 3 when I 1st noticed the fox holes....were they noticable before that?...I can't say for sure. I do plan on doing just what you said Fionn if I ever see that in a real game. For what it is worth if you're trying to do this at home kids...I had the Americans hidden behind the stone stone wall in Last Defense.

2: Stevemeister, I was only willing to sacrifice a halftrack...dude you went above and beyond the call of duty with your Tiger (I love you BTS guys,man). And yes Fionn, I did have the HQ pick out the ambush site then the Baz target it.

Elvis:

I did the ambush from behind the stone wall on LD against the AI the other day, and it worked like a charm. I had a full platoon hiding behind the wall with my bazooka team 2nd closest to the road. First order phase of the game I hid all my units(everywhere, not just at the wall) and set an ambush marker on the road a little bit before I'd be spotted. My luck with ambushes before this was 0%, as some idiot would crack off an early shot and draw massive fire. But this time nobody shot early the Axis AI ran one of his tanks straight down the road *before* his advancing infantry. It rolled over the ambush marker, and nothing happened. I figured I was screwed, as I now had a platoon sitting between heavy armor and advancing infantry, but then as the tank passed my position by a few feet heading to town my bazooka team popped up and fired a single shot that fried the tank. It was a kodak moment...Reminded me of Saving Private Ryan when Sgt. Mike(not sure of the rest of his name) hid behind a wall while the Germans passed, then ran out and fired at the Panzer from like 10 feet away.

So it does work sometimes at least. Maybe troops are reluctant to engage such a nasty looking target at such a close range?

Guest Big Time Software

Well Elvis, it is the least I could do smile.gif Of course, if you slip me $10 I could use a Jagdtiger the next time wink.gif

Pham, infantry needs to work up courage to take on a tank. So you are correct. In general they will lay low or try and get out of there. Experience level and AT weapons have a very strong influence here. If those guys were Veteran Engineers with satchel charges, there might be one less German tank in the area smile.gif

Steve

Guest Charles

In my experience, to get an ambush to work properly, you must tell your ambushing units to hide. If you don't, they have a nasty tendency to reveal their position aiming at secondary targets.

I had a lot of success in last defense hiding a platoon behind the wall. First, my pocket-rocket team took out a HT. Then two or three German squads were caught in the open between the trees and the wall and were annihilated, easy as pie. Nice! The German's became much more cautious after that.

------------------

Not THE Charles from BTS