QB Map Triggers

I read with interest a small thread back in April on getting triggers to trip within a QB. The thread sort of ended without a definitive conclusion or agreement. So I will start try to continue that thread here unless it continued in a thread I cant find.

Thanks

Kevin

I read with interest a small thread back in April on getting triggers to trip within a QB. The thread sort of ended without a definitive conclusion or agreement. So I will start try to continue that thread here unless it continued in a thread I cant find.

Thanks

Kevin

I just did a quick test of Terrain Objective Triggers and again, I could not get them to work as the manual suggests they should in a QB map. It's easy to test for yourself. Just create a map, add an AI group and some orders, and an AI side terrain objective set to "Trigger (Enemy)". Have one of the orders be to wait for this trigger, with the two times set to 00:00 and 1:00:00 then run the QB in "Scenario Designer" mode. According to the manual the group should wait for the enemy (player) to move into the trigger zone before executing its next order but they just move off immediately regardless of what the player is doing. I have yet to be persuaded that triggers work in QBs.

Edited by Cpl Steiner

I also did a test. Same battle file loaded as a Battle and as a Quick Battle with designer mode on. The triggers work when the file is loaded as a Battle but not as a Quick Battle. As you describe, the triggers are ignored. The trigger terrain objective is not displayed on the map as it is when playing the file as a Battle.

Taking a look at the engine manual this is sort of confirmed:

"Quick Battles consider only OCCUPY terrain objectives and unit casualties for determining victory conditions. All other objective types and parameters are ignored. All terrain objectives are converted to OCCUPY objectives automatically, and all Units are part of a force-wide UNIT objective."

Triggers objectives are not converted they are just not used when the file is loaded as a QB.

Triggers are an important tool and we are thankful for them. Having them functional within a QB should make those battles better. The AI will react better. For example, the QB map designer has no way knowing the length of the battle the player selects for a particular QB map. With triggers, AI movement can be designed in a more generalized manner.

Kevin