Question About Grayed Out Options

Okay, been getting into this game a lot the last couple of days working on creating scenarios. Noticing a number of grayed out options (not available) while creating that, no matter what other options I choose, are never available.

Now, I did purchase the Big Bundle, so I should have everything. So, are there just options that are never available? If so, why were they put in the options list?

I seem to remember in CMBB there was some kind of override to allow to pick options that weren't normally available. Does such a thing exist in CMBN or do conditions have to be specific for them to be available?

Scratching my head trying to figure out how to get, as an example, 101st Airborne to be available?

You have to have the airborne tab selected to have access to the 101st option, it's grayed out if you are on infantry etc.

Mord.

Got it. Referring to the "Appearance" tab. The only option available is Standard. Everything else is grayed out.

Yeah, you select Airborne under Formations, then go down to the appearance tab and it should give you access to standard, 82nd, and 101st.

You running the game at 3.0?

EDITED: Yeah, you should be at 3.0. I checked the dates, put the time on September France to see if that was the problem and it wasn't. Though I was thinking it would be seeing that they should've been in Holland.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Yeah, you select Airborne under Formations, then go down to the appearance tab and it should give you access to standard, 82nd, and 101st.

You running the game at 3.0?

EDITED: Yeah, you should be at 3.0. I checked the dates, put the time on September France to see if that was the problem and it wasn't. Though I was thinking it would be seeing that they should've been in Holland.

Mord.

I had this whole thing ready to respond with and then I figured it out after doing some history research on the 101st Airborne.

Long story short, I was picking the wrong options.

However, my point is, under certain conditions, some things won't be available because, historically, they didn't go with certain things. If I remember correctly in the old game, you could override all that and pick anything regardless of whether it technically went or not.

I understand that this is now more historically accurate, including the graying out of certain months, which you could also override in the old game in order to get some pretty bizarre combinations.

Point is, if you choose Column A, you can't get anything you like in Column B, unlike CMBB where you could override all that, unless of course there is also an override function in CMBN. I haven't read the entire manual yet so I don't know if one exists.

But long story short, I am now able to choose 101st Airborne as long as all my ducks are in a row.

Thanks for helping me walk through this.

Out of curiosity, what parameters were keeping them from appearing? I tried everything I could think of.

Congrats, you got that fast.

Mord.

It's kind of hard to answer this without actually walking through the process. Different things become available or unavailable depending on what I choose. It's how CMBB worked so I expect that. But like I said, CMBB had an override function so that you could choose anything regardless of what you chose before it.

When I get a chance, I'll walk through a brief scenario creation and list the steps here. Then you can try to do the same thing on your end.

One thing you can see right from the start on the mission screen is the year and months choices. 1944 is the only year choice and the only months you can choose are June through September. I understand this is historically accurate. But in CMBB you could override this even if you chose a region where there was no fighting in a particular year and still choose that year. It's been so long since I played CMBB that I'd have to look in the manual to see how to override the restrictions.

EDITED: No sure whether I understand you so I'll keep this post in case. If you already figured out what's below I apologize.

Buy your forces in one month then go to another month and buy something else that was locked out from the previous. Go back to the month you started with and the locked out one should show up.

An example: Kreigsmarines aren't available on June 6th in France. I went to August, bought a company, then reset the game back to June 6th, hit preview and there they were.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Buy your forces in one month then go to another month and buy something else that was locked out from the previous. Go back to the month you started with and the locked out one should show up.

Mord.

Ah, so that's how it works. Okay. Cool.

Learn something new everyday.