Does CMBS (Modern) Require shorter turn timers?

You mean during setup creating an AI plan to go against someone elses AI plan? That would definitely be cool. You couldn't accuse the other player of gamey tactics :)

Yes. Or even 'simply' allowing AI vs AI scenarios. Both players enter their plans (and not look at the others) and watch the fun unfold in scenario author mode. :)

You could even do some interesting variations of the theme, each player could have a certain number of times he can change orders.  Like for an hour long battle maybe you could have 3 or 4 "time outs"   per side, to be used as deemed necessary.  Would keep some especially silly things from happening in the battle without compromising the spirit of the thing.

you could do it like American football, at the half way point both teams have a chance to change their orders, plus 3 time outs max per half, because American Football is cool. 

Edited by cool breeze

Now if you are going to do the opposite and take control out of the players hand. You don't need so many pauses in the game.

What you need is (you as the commander) can select any leader in your active chain of command. You will be allowed to change any orders to all the units under him in his command, once that command is given, you are assigned a time limit until you are allowed to do another command change. This represent communication time and such.

So a simple example, selection a platoon leader. you cannot give orders again for two minutes. a company leader 5 minutes, a battalion leader 10 minutes.

I have seen many elaborate suggestions on how to do it that are very complex, trying to be too realistic.

This would be simple to understand and would represent the challenge of leaders. You can only address one problem at a time and it takes time for the communications to occur.

What would still be unrealistic, and is presently in the game is your commands would be instant, but that is how it presently is and trying to do the delay would likely create so many challenges for the game, not worth the effort. Where as my suggestion. Changes nothing in the game.

It just requires it to track when you make a order and locks you out from another order til that time is expired.

Now if you are going to do the opposite and take control out of the players hand. You don't need so many pauses in the game.What you need is (you as the commander) can select any leader in your active chain of command. You will be allowed to change any orders to all the units under him in his command, once that command is given, you are assigned a time limit until you are allowed to do another command change. This represent communication time and such.So a simple example, selection a platoon leader. you cannot give orders again for two minutes. a company leader 5 minutes, a battalion leader 10 minutes.I have seen many elaborate suggestions on how to do it that are very complex, trying to be too realistic.This would be simple to understand and would represent the challenge of leaders. You can only address one problem at a time and it takes time for the communications to occur.What would still be unrealistic, and is presently in the game is your commands would be instant, but that is how it presently is and trying to do the delay would likely create so many challenges for the game, not worth the effort. Where as my suggestion. Changes nothing in the game.It just requires it to track when you make a order and locks you out from another order til that time is expired.

I like! Possible to do in current engine?

It's possible with Human 1.0. Preferably a trustworthy model. Combat Mission is the only game where the players get excited at the idea of less control. It reminds me a bit of "Enviro-Bear 2000" the bear driving simulator.

In all seriousness though, I would love to see a full AAR of an AI only game.