Hey, a new screen shot.

Guest John Maragoudakis

Guest John Maragoudakis

Big Time, can you have a link to all articles and interviews at other sites that relate to CM. Wouldn't want to miss any. Thanks

[This message has been edited by John Maragoudakis (edited 02-27-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Hehe, well, uh, those screenshots aren't exactly new smile.gif They were taken over a month ago. Lots of things have changed since then in anticipation of a new round of screenshots, movies, and info.

For example, soldiers now have texture mapped weapons (like Kar98s, MP44s, Thompsons, Stens, etc.). We have also made improvements to the "beyond map" graphics so it looks like there is a good skyline and surrounding terrain. We are still a couple of weeks away from posting this stuff, so don't ask wink.gif

Steve

I'd like to know whether the "eye candy" special effects, like fire, smoke etc are 2D sprites, or do you have some remarkable algorithm which calculates it on the fly? I'm guessing 2D sprites, by the looks of those screenshots (I realise that they are pretty old).

I really like those trees. They look very realistic. Well done, BTS artist.

Guest Big Time Software

Marko,

Yup, they are 2D sprites. We have experimented with all sorts of smoke and fire systems, but we 2D nontransparent sprites were the way to go (for now). You should have seen the speed hit a couple of columns of smoke made with some of the other ways!! The only tradeoff is that the smoke takes up a decent chunk of VRAM. We are hoping that the next version of CM will be able to do transparent stuff. The way CPUs and 3D chipsets are going, we think this is highly likely.

Steve

I'd say the screenshots look pretty good smile.gif especially knowing that there taken from a game not yet done. The trees and buildings remind me of miniture railroad models, takes one back to the days of lead figures.