Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

topographic maps

i was wondering for some time why we don't have topographic maps of combat area? i ain't all crazy about "historical correctness" but i am very lazy checking the map before the game and, after all, in most combat situations commanders relied upon their maps to organize actions while they employed terrain exploration only when they had time. 

so, wouldn't it be possible to create a tool to make topographic maps of the battle area? or is it asking too much as it could be argued we already have better tool since we can already check the whole map environment? i've already said i'm not crazy about historical approach but it is a tad too much to being able to see exactley the enemy's side of battlefield and topo maps would nicely go around this.

I think an On-Off toggle for topographic contour lines would be very useful.  (Just like in my sig. line below) :)   It would be very cool to be able to print out one of the master maps at a low zoom level (maybe 3?) and put all the sheets together (matching up the contour lines) to form one big 4x3 foot map (or whatever size that would come out to).  It would be something like a military 1:50000 scale map. Grid lines could be superimposed with a piece of acetate.  If desired other overlays could be used for, Intelligence Preparation of the Battlefield (IPB), Modified Combined Obstacle Overlay, Operational overlay, Pre-planned fires overlay, situation maps etc.  Then the various missions of a campaign could be viewed and tracked on this big printed out, contoured lined map.  When it came time to take a screen shot, toggle the contour lines off.  

So yes, I like the idea of topographic maps.  How much time effort and coding this would require I don't know.  But one can dream.       

i think your idea is awesome, however, for start i'd be happy if BF just made simple topo map of battlefield. adding few basic paint options to line out approach routes, obstacles and key terrain features is already a wild dream. having your system is just wetting the pants. :D