Trenchlines and Tanks question

Are there trenchlines in the game?</p>

If there are, is the ability of certain tanks to drive over them modelled? AFAIK the maximum distance that a tank could cross was an important design consideration / critical parameter, which again serves to differentiate the vehicles in the game (Or am I just being confused by the lovely demos that our tankers like to put on every year, and it really isn't a battlefield issue?</p>

Thanks,</p>

Bruce</p>

Hunter,

Trenches weren't common at all on the Western front (foxholes yes but trenches no)...

I think this is something I'd like to see for CM2 (East front) in which defensive trench systems were pretty common but while I'm sure we can point to trench defences around the Atlantikwall and other such rare defences they weren't common on the Western front.

Ps My theory is that tankers love to impress infantrymen by showing how they could crush them as they sit in their trenches anytime they wanted to wink.gif.. that's why they do that in shows wink.gif (actually it wows the crowd I'm sure so that's why it's done IMO)

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Hunter:

I understand that you can model trenchlines and AT trenchs by creating slopes impassable to vehicles when designing a scenario. However, you won't be able to place them during setup. In other words, you have to build them into the scenario and there they will stay.

I imagine since buildings are the only terrain that can be reduced (aside from terrain that can burn), you won't be able to breach the trenchline by collapsing a side or using bridging equipment, etc.

Dar

Fionn,

IIRC:

Western Front = trenches were a rarity

Eastern Front = a veritable rat maze if the Russians/Germans had more than a day.

Russian practice in armor was "If you find a trench, and have a few spare moments, a pivot in place will pretty well trash it and hopefully those annoying ants that live in them."

Standard German practice was to build L shaped trenches, so if armor runs over 1 leg of the trench, you can scurry over to the other side without coming up into view.