The beauty of the public library...

The copy of A Time For Trumpets I'm reading right now has many amusing notes in the margins, penned by some small, neat, anonymous hand.

On 'So, too, the air raids and the demand of his enemies for unconditional surrender had cemented the will of the German people', 'unconditional surrender' is underlined, and our WW2 scholar writes, "This (Casablanca, 1943-January) and FDR's total cold shoulder to the German anti-Hitler movement (from March '43) meant almost two add'l years of western destruction & the Soviets as only true victors."

Later, he underlines, '...saw political upheaval within Germany or insurrection within the Wehrmacht as likely to hasten the end of the war', with the note, "Totally negated in 1943 by the Satanic Roosevelt; a successful July '44 tyranicide would have salvaged little."

I may not be the most knowledgable of people about WW2, but I at least know enough to laugh at this guy. At least until we exhume Roosevelt and find the strangely overlooked horns and tail. smile.gif

-John