What Happened to ToW?

Tukhachevsky

A few days ago I got ToW 2 Kursk on steam and loved it. In spite of annoying features like bad pathing and the infuriating vulnerability of player infantry, the game has a unique pace and feel.

Then I made a mistake. Hoping to find an updated version with the problems fixed and more features, I searched down another 1C game, Men of War. It has all the new features you could hope for but implemented in such a stupid way, like instant ammo trucks and airlifts, buried mines in metalled roads etc and it stinks of FPS.

ToW forum seems to be dead, here and at 1C. Is there any future for the series or has it been superseded by a series that improves, without detracting from the ToW feel?

• 1 month later...

I totally agree with you. I own all TOW games and I absolutely love them despite their flaws. It's a shame that they decided to stop the series (I assume this because since TOW 3 there have been no news).

Yes, infantry dies too quickly, can't even jump 1 meter high fences and are useless inside buildings but this game with just minor changes would be the best real time tactical game ever. And it hasn't got the steep learning curve and weird graphics that the Combat mission games have.

Such a shame, because there are no other games like it. (forget about Men of War or Company of Heroes)

• 2 weeks later...

A few days ago I got ToW 2 Kursk on steam and loved it. In spite of annoying features like bad pathing and the infuriating vulnerability of player infantry, the game has a unique pace and feel.

Then I made a mistake. Hoping to find an updated version with the problems fixed and more features, I searched down another 1C game, Men of War. It has all the new features you could hope for but implemented in such a stupid way, like instant ammo trucks and airlifts, buried mines in metalled roads etc and it stinks of FPS.

ToW forum seems to be dead, here and at 1C. Is there any future for the series or has it been superseded by a series that improves, without detracting from the ToW feel?

Oh no you got sucked into men of war :D Yeah that game sure is pretty. Back on Subject... TOW2 is a good game but flawed as you mentioned.  TOW3 has slicks. The helicopters are implemented well. But the max map size I think in 2X2k so helos get kinda hemmed in. But the helicopter idea I like. Too bad Tow never got massaged a bit for a larger and more refined TOW4.

• 2 months later...

from all theatre of war series, i only prefer for theatre of war 1 (kursk and caen good too but i still like the first) which looks better in game engine and i like one of their features is you can pick weapons on dead soldier and choose which is needed or not, im still playing it till now..still fun which additional mods much better, but i didn't like those sounds quality which i never see sounds mod for this TOW