Smoke screen?

Fionn, I just looked at the HQ website and was reading your treatise on anti-tank guns. I saw several .JPG pictures that reminded me of a question I had. While playing a PBEM game, I saw several columns of smoke where there was no apparent burning vehicle, forrest, or house. These same columns appear in picture 1.JPG, in your article. From the verbiage I now understand that to be screening smoke. Does and infantry unit's smoke look the same as a tanks? Is there a technique for laying a smoke screen, ie. more than just a point source? Thanks!

Correct, it was screening smoke from smoke dischargers.

Infantry don't have smoke.

Well apart from an artillery smokescreen you are limited to either smoke dischargers or tank main guns.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Err... they do lift in the beta. In the game I'm playing now, I've seen both tank smoke and 81 mm smoke lift after several turns (didn't count how many though...) I think it just depends on the what fired it how long it lasts...

[This message has been edited by Ben Galanti (edited 11-30-99).]

In the beta demo arty smoke lasts too long.

Check out tank smoke. It only lasts a few minutes...

In the beta builds we're testing this has all been changed and fixed.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

Erich, weather effects are not simulated in regards to smoke. Far too difficult to do realisticaly I'm sorry to say. Even if we could there would be a serious problem with displaying the information correctly (graphics limitations).

Steve