Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

4 T-90AMs against 2 M1A2.. open terrain, 2900-3000 meters, frontal slugfest

antaress73

Are the Leclercs that bad?

When I was a junior Captain and fresh back from Iraq, I got wrangled into a command post exercise to prepare our Division HQ to deploy to Afghanistan to assume control over...I think it was RC East.  Dunno.  I never went to Afghanistan myself and as it turned out I had precious little to do with the actual exercise.   2e Brigade Blindée would be falling under that HQ when they deployed some months later, so they actually sent a good part of their command team to Fort Riley KS to participate. one of my counterparts and I were both loaned out to the French contingent to help with helping them understand the various US systems they had to be linked in on, and explain the various Americanisms ("What is this fuel amber?" and so forth).  

It was actually really good times.  Towards the end we had a sort of social event, snacks were bought, booze consumed (in the middle of a duty shift no less), and I started chatting up the various officers with good English skills.  Being a curious sort I couldn't help but ask various questions about their hardware.  Some takeaways:

AMX-10RC: The recon guys seemed to like it lots, but the fleet was getting long in the tooth and they had a lot of "This vehicle is old" sort of maintenance issues.

Tiger/Puma: Good, so long as they're not required to fly at high elevations or hot temperatures (this was actually a problem during the exercise, that on days the computer decided were pretty hot, the French required US helicopter support because their birds couldn't fly with load).

Leclerc:  Here's pretty much how the conversation went down:

CPT P. "I hear the Leclerc is quite mobile

MAJ Frenchguy "When she runs"

CPT P. "The autoloader on the Leclerc sounds most impressive"

MAJ F. "When it loads"

CPT P. "How's the optics on the Leclerc?"

MAJ F. "Quite good when they turn on"

There's more, but that's effectively the jist of everything he said about the Leclerc, was followed "When it works" or "if it <whatever it was suppposed to be good at>."  Leclerc hasn't done much to give 3rd party observation, but none of the French guys I talked to seemed to regard it as reliable.

Searching on tank-net I have found results from Peru T-90S trials, 

- First day it was really foggy and rainy. 1G46 could only operate to 300-350 meters. By using the thermal sight, shots were fired at targets 2.000-2.500 meters away.
- The next 2 days climate conditions were optimal and gunnery tests were performed. T-90S fired on the move and statically. 38 125mm rounds were fired. 16 BM17, 12 BK16 and 10 OF36. Distance was 1.600-3.000 meters. The sucess rate was 94.7%.

- PKMT and Kord machine guns were also tested by firing 600 rounds. The success rate was 75%. AT-11 Sniper missiles were fired at targets 3.000-5.000 meters away with 100% success rate.

http://www.defensa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10414:-buenos-resultados-de-las-pruebas-operacionales-y-de-tiro-en-peru-del-tanque-ruso-t-90s&catid=55:latinoamerica&Itemid=163

I think this proves the T-90 is quite capable.

Edited by VladimirTarasov