Smoke gets in your eyes...

(I figured why do Moon and John get to write all the witty-sounding topics? Some people may think their franchise is still safe..)

Just a quick question re: smoke. I know the game's graphics will show smoke as a solid "object". I'm OK with this - if it was first person shooter or flight sim it'd be different, because there it's an issue of being able to see through the smoke...

Which leads to my question - can the _units_ "see" through smoke, or is it a total block? Having smoke degrade visibility rather than blocking it would be preferable. Even so, it's certainly not something that would stop me getting the game if it doesn't.

Guest John Maragoudakis

'Can you make that out corporal'? smile.gif

Even if the player can't see through the smoke, the game can still treat the smoke as semi transparent for the units. The more smoke, the less the unit can see.

Anyways the smoke doesn't hinder the player since he can pan around it. Perhaps have the line of sight extending from the squad have a XX% number next to it indicating the *clarity* of that line of sight.

Guest Big Time Software

Smoke in CM is obviously much more simplified that its real world counterpart. The discussions about it show why it has to be that way. Smoke can totally block LOS, but we can make it so that it isn't yes/no even if the graphics are solid. I'm pretty sure we do this already depending on the type of smoke.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Smoke LOOKS:

1. Solid, though it isn't.

2. A little smaller than it actually is.

Smoke IS:

Only partially blocking to LOS, but looking through a couple of smokes will block LOS totally.

Charles

Guest Big Time Software

Yes. For example, if your tank pops smoke in front of it, and starts to go backwards, it is as hindered by the smoke as any would be attackers.

Steve