Factors influencing accuracy of indirect fire

Bahger

I've called fire missions that have been right on the money and others that are all over the place. Let's say that in each case the spotters are not tired, pinned, rattled, etc., C3 is solid, the target area is the same size and LOS is good when the initial call is made. I was wondering why some missions are accurate and others not, even discounting random errors that are probably built into the game to simulate human error. Tonight it struck me that maybe the spotter must not change position for the entire duration of the mission, from initial call to end of mission. Might it be the case that moving the spotter at any point in this process might severely jeopardize the accuracy of the mission and that shifting LOS, even after the initial call, can make the impact less precise? I will often move my spotter after the initial call, particularly if he is in a vehicle and this may be a bad thing to do…

...maybe the spotter must not change position for the entire duration of the mission, from initial call to end of mission. Might it be the case that moving the spotter at any point in this process might severely jeopardize the accuracy of the mission and that shifting LOS, even after the initial call, can make the impact less precise? I will often move my spotter after the initial call, particularly if he is in a vehicle and this may be a bad thing to do…

It's okay to move your spotter, so long as he still/again has good LOS to the target area during the time the spotting rounds are falling. So you can call, fall back behind cover while battery gets it shizzle sorted, then get back to the place you can spot from as the first spotting rounds drop.

It is also important to note that you will get the best results if you have good LOS to the whole area you're dropping on. If you try a linear barrage drawn between two "keyholed" points where you can't get LOS to the points in between the ends, for example, you'll probably have an errant mission fired.