this game is the best

Guest coolguy101

If anyone is expecting a 100% acceptance of ANY game, they will be sadly disappointed. That is why there is a myriad of games out there, to please the diverse tastes of many.

For me personally, this game "tastes" real good. For John Doe that you guys speak of, it has a "bitter taste." Now that could be because of a personality conflict, jealousy (No! It couldn't be! Yes, it could - G).

Remember old Aesop and "sour grapes," or the "dog in the manger" stories?

Actually constructive criticism is good. Vindictive criticism, alas, for the person with the attitude, only makes the game look better to the man who thinks rationally.

Flak over the target means there is something worth bombing there. I'd rather have criticism than indifference any day!

------------------

Wild Bill

Wild Bill's Raiders

Director of Scenario Design,

The Gamers Net

Wild Bill,

Interesting, you said kind of the same stuff I was trying to tell him (I go by Moose over there.) He didn't like it too much. Personally, I think with Internet marketing the number of "flavors" of wargames will only increase. Therefore, we can feel more comfortable that we will find something to our liking. I feel the wargaming hobby is looking up for the first time in several years.

Guest phoenix

Pretty much all you need to know about this guy is from one quote -

"CM is too complicated and unintelligible for me to waste time trying to discern its 'finer points'."

How anyone can say this I have no idea.

Guest Big Time Software

Mattias, I would look more closely at the his statements as a whole. Much of it is baseless, a whole bunch is confused, and none of it is backed up by facts, rather his "opinions". The value of an opinion is only as great as the arguments in support, and the ability to deflect (through rational discourse) counter opinions. Anybody that dismisses another's opinion simply because it is different deserves no credability.

Is Combat Mission "revolutionary"? By the scale of change of wargaming over the last 40 years, it is our opinion that this is true. Is this an absolute statement? No, it is an opinion. But it is one we can back up with a mountain of evidence. Ask him to do the same to prove that CM is NOT a Revolutionary wargame and you are going to get a bunch of crap tossed at you smile.gif Hell, at one point he dennied that CM is a wargame even.

Also, as Glenn *tried* to point out, we have NEVER claimed that Combat Mission is the best wargame there ever will be. As you say Mattias, there will be better in the future (from us smile.gif). What we do say is that it is the MOST realistic commercial wargame ever to date. Tomorrow this could change, but today we can back up that statement with a logical comparison with any wargame out there. Point that out and you will get attacked like Glenn did, since you are nothing but a "barbarian" and are therefore incapable of thoughts worthy of mention.

Steve

LOL.

Oh my FAVOURITE comments of his are the length posts in which he REFUSES to spell my name right.

"Mr Kelley"... Now the weird thing is I KNOW he knows how to spell my name BUT this guy is SO petty that he has taken to mispelling my name in a variety of ways since he thinks it "insults" me wink.gif.

I also just LOVE the way he puts words into my mouth and selectively quotes me, attacks me for NEVER having played a board wargame (

1. It isn't a sin never to have played a board wargame and

2. I HAVE played board wargames), goes on calling me and others names, mentions LOADS of developers etc who probably all detest him ( I remember talking on the phone to someone at a big company once who Mark was supposedly "buddies" with and I mentioned his name in passing as someone who was giving me grief. The sigh of pain was just wonderful to listen to... This guy who was supposedly a "best bud" of Mark ended up talking my ear off for about 30 minutes telling me stories about all the unreasonable and unsolicited mails he'd gotten from Mark and what a pain he was etc wink.gif. It was funny to hear it all come out wink.gif ).

This guy is one of these guys who I said would attack CM without valid reason a long time ago. Stick around, there's a few more like him who you have yet to meet wink.gif.

Anyways Mark is totally trashed by the fact he has grudges against Charles and Steve ( since they didn't take his "all-knowing and wonderful advice" hehe) and he has a grudge against me cause I said you can't apply the results from a WW1 battle conducted in calm seas during daytime in big cruisers with elite crews to a small night-time encounter between green destroyer crews during a gale.

I mean how DIFFERENT could the two situation be?

He's BAD news with a BAD temper and an unreasonable attitude. Avoid like the plague wink.gif. (although if someone does post to him and disagrees with him post his response here wink.gif. I'm willing to bet a lot of money its nasty wink.gif )

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Steve,

Oh, I did look at his reasoning and I too found it lacking. But I was nevertheless curious about what might be the driving force behind his tenacity, besides lunacy of some degree that is.

And as I read the posts the wrong way around I might have been given the wrong idea about which posts where the “developed” ones and which were the rants smile.gif

The way his elongated arguments are peppered with errors makes me think about a man with one leg too short, marching in circles, around and around.

M.