Any guidance for newbies? Have no idea how to play :(

Alexey K

..The most helpful (to me) were FM 3-21.94 (SBCT IBT Recon Platoon) ...

Funny, this reference was blocked for me when I accessed it from my Russian IP addresses.

VPN proxy saved the day :)

I've read MDCP 1-3, great thing! 

Funny enought, I find that many of ideas and principles stated there to be very useful in my field of work - software development.

I remember ArmA! Lots of fun! But it's been a while. ArmA and CM:Black Sea are two different worlds. You will need to stop thinking like a squad leader and think more like a Company commander. Maybe even a Battalion Commander if the map is big enough (Which is the case in a few scenarios of the older titles).

Actually ArmA 2 and higher contain "High Command" module which enables player to play "First-Person commander" of company-sized force. 

First person perspective adds completely new dimension to gameplay. You have no "god view", only map with tactical symblos. If you want to view things closer you have to risk your life.

Great potential, but it has very limited command options and very dumb AI that is routinely doing stupid thigs, like suicidal tank charges right into middle of enemy territory. 

Actually ArmA 2 and higher contain "High Command" module which enables player to play "First-Person commander" of company-sized force. 

First person perspective adds completely new dimension to gameplay. You have no "god view", only map with tactical symblos. If you want to view things closer you have to risk your life.

Great potential, but it has very limited command options and very dumb AI that is routinely doing stupid thigs, like suicidal tank charges right into middle of enemy territory. 

This is true. Try commanding an MSV Company in person and attempting to pull of an attack without getting all of your force killed while they desperately drive in circles attempting to debus, or do not debus at all. Or drive their IFV across open ground toward the enemy to engage them at point blank range.

It is however satisfying when things do work. Like calling in smoke round artillery from the back of your bmp command track to ensure your inefficient pixelstrelki can drive in circles unhindered by enemy fire.

Edited by Stagler

Watch my videos (in signature).

As others have said, real life tactics work very well in CMBS. The only "wildcard" will be the tactical AI and their lack of responsiveness. Generally speaking though you should:

1. perform a OCOKA before the mission: http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/survival/ocoka.shtml

2. create an operations order - that is a list of orders/plans to take advantage of your OCOKA analysis and to achieve your objectives given METT-TC (Mission, Enemy, Terrain and Weather, Troops and Support Available, Time Available, Civil Considerations) limitations

A lot of new players or even long time wargamers neglect the 1st step. On most CMBS/CMSF missions you should spend at least 15-20 minutes flying around the map analyizing the terrain vs most probable course of enemy action. And how you will counter those actions, paralyze the enemy and destroy him. My first video in my new Combat Mission Black Sea series has an OCOKA performed on video and my stream of consciousness as I do it.

In addition to this there's particular tactical considerations for victory. Rifle Platoon and Squad is the essential guide:

http://armypubs.army.mil/doctrine/DR_pubs/dr_a/pdf/fm3_21x8.pdf

Edited by tyrspawn

This is true. Try commanding an MSV Company in person and attempting to pull of an attack without getting all of your force killed while they desperately drive in circles attempting to debus, or do not debus at all. Or drive their IFV across open ground toward the enemy to engage them at point blank range.

It is however satisfying when things do work. Like calling in smoke round artillery from the back of your bmp command track to ensure your inefficient pixelstrelki can drive in circles unhindered by enemy fire.

"Pixelstrelki" - LOL.

New word for my personal dictinary ;)