Muzzle blast effect on infantry

Hello i'm a frequent board visitor and CM player. Last night something struck me as not right, when my king tiger fired his main gun over the heads of friendly exposed infantry. 1 action spot away from the tanks muzzle brake.

I remembered having read about the potential damaging effects, on human soft-tissues, from the over-pressure wave in these situations. I know for a fact that the main battleships, when firing their main guns, cleared their deks. I've found some "proof" that this issue played a role on the battlefield, a regimental history notes 2 soldiers injured by muzzle blasts from enemy tank's main guns. Search for  

Remagen Bridge: 9th Armored Division by Andrew Rawson page 140.  

Imho i would like to see some kind of supression effect on friendly and enemy exposed infantry when near bigger caliber muzzle blasts. in a radius of about 1-2 action spots. And by exposed infantry i mean infantry not in bunkers or houses, and possible reduction of blast effect when in a trench/foxhole.

Interested in the opinions of my fellow gamers and battlefield commanders. :rolleyes: 

Regards Paulus  

Hello, 

In further defense of my case; the in-door blast effect from hand-held at-weapons is already modelled, and in being so a tactical factor. It seems fair to me that the muzzle blast effect should also be a tactical factor, as in real life.

i'm no programming expert, but it would seem not that hard, to mold the existing at-blast model into a muzzle blast effect.  

Regards Paulus

Yeah, this comes up on occasion... I agree that it would be nice to see. The question then becomes one of overpressure measurements for each weapon. Not hard, but doable. Personally, I don't allow pixeltruppen to go to the medic for little things like burst eardrums. But that's me. ;)

Modern weapons with their prolific use of sabot rounds produce a serious, mortal, hazard to infantry in front of the muzzles. This, too, has been requested as a feature.

A "pin" of variable length would seem to be the way to go for pure muzzle blast.

Ken

oh didn't know i was threading covered ground, i tried a forum search with no succes. yes the sabot round is indeed modelled in cmbn. and the discarding petals, between 2 and 4, could be modelled like the canister round, taking in account the difference in velocity beween petals and sub-projectile. But this seems like a lot of work, for a relatively seldom event, in relation to main gun discharges.  

Modern US field manuals even come with stand-off ranges and danger zone's for their different weapon systems.  

Any soldier knows its a bad idea to camp underneath an 8.8cm muzzle brake, i think i would seriously doubt my luitenants mental stablility if he would state otherwise :rolleyes: 

Regarding the different overpressure effects from weapon systems, it could be related to the HE effect, like 50%? but without schrapnel effect? just brainstorming.. its seems to me like a numbers game, not too hard to dail up or down after some testing.

Sorry if i'm making the error, thinking programming is easy.. just trying to be a helpfull customer :) 

Regards Paul