Email Turn Sequencing - Revisited...

I know this has been discussed, but I would like to address it myself...

I understand the need for the current turn sequencing from the standpoint of tournament play etc, but for me the double mailing per turn is a huge hassle.

a) I don't need to worry about the people I game with cheating (no coincidence).

B) I generally can only get around to checking my e-mail once a day, so if we're lucky a turn gets completed every two days. This means a 30 turn game takes at least 2 MONTHS.

I would really like to see the ability to play with a single exchange per turn, or else the PBEM is going to be a less than desirable feature for me.

One thought just occurred to me - Is it possible to play Hotseat on both machines and just exchange the save-game file? ie:

1) Player 1 issues orders, saves game

2) P1 mails save game to P2

3) P2 issues orders

4) P2 watches movie, saves game

5) P2 mails saved game to P1

6) P1 watches movie (is this possible after save?)

7) go to 1)

Chris

Yeah...I had a thought to suggest the same thing. Prolly too late now, but it'd be nice to have 2 (or more) security options for games. One option -- call it "loose" security -- where each person would be able to issue orders and watch the movie in the same turn. The second option could work the way it does now. I know the guys I play against don't and wouldn't cheat the system. I understand the reasoning behind the current structure, but it sure would be nice if there was a quicker way. smile.gif

------------------

Doug

WB: -argo- {501 FF}

Guest Big Time Software

Sorry Chris, we are not going to add a "low security" method. It is a lot of work to do and is not desirable in general since most people don't know for sure if the other person is 100% trustworthy. Our system eliminates all doubt.

My suggestion is to simply have some sort of understanding with the other person about when you can expect a turn back and check email around that time.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

BTW, there is only *one* extra swap involved, not x2:

1. Player One plots and then sends file

2. Player Two plots and then sends file. Calculations are performed here, on Player Two's machine.

3. Player One watches movie, then sends back to Player Two.

4. Player Two watches movie than repeats above, but Player's roles are reversed.

The only difference between the low security suggestion and ours is that Step #2 and Step #3 are combined with the first half of #4

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 12-01-99).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>BTW, there is only *one* extra swap involved, not x2:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah... I misunderstood the process (I finally got started on a PBEM game and we just finished the 1st turn after 4 days...).

Thanks for the quick response! I'm looking forward to playing out this game vs a Human opponent.

Chris

If you are having problems with a slow moving PBEM game, do what I am doing. Just have a bunch of games going at once.

I've got three games going now and there is always something to do. And playing a fellow American, an Australian, and fellow in Monaco, I can expect a turn at any time of day. smile.gif

Jason

We've covered this already in several different threads, so I don't understand how it can keep popping up again and again, but it is not necessary to have reduced security (much less no security) and still do a turn in 2 emails. The only difference between the current scheme and the scheme several of us have proposed is that when Player A generates a film and sends it to Player B, Player B doesn't just watch it and send it back but watches it, appends his orders to it, and then sends it back. Player A would then watch the film, issue orders for the next turn, generate a new film (since he already has Player B's orders) and send it without viewing it to Player B. And the cycle continues.

No compromise of the current anti-cheating measures, just a reduction of steps from three emails/turn to two.

Dar