Fire

I,m wondering if the small inferno created by the Panzer 1V's HE shell (turn 30) might have been a bit exagerated.

The affected area was (I think) light or scattered trees, in winter. They may well have been set on fire but I can't imagine this turning into a blaze that would cause the sheltering infantry to flee.

Perhaps in a forested or scrub area, in dry summer conditions, but not in damp winter.

Could this perhaps be related to the earlier house fire caused by tank-fire (I think) which was generally agreed to be also OTT.

Cheers

Jim Crowley

The fire did not suddenly appear out of nowhere. The area has been shelled by infantry, HE rounds and small arms fire countless times during the 30 minutes of the game. The HE shell from the Panzer merely was the last "drop in the barrel" to consider the whole are (of 20 sqm) be on fire for game purposes. I believe that there is a recent thread talking about this - you should try to use the search function to find it.

They do - but at CM's scale small fires (a burning tree, a burning patch of grass) are more or less insignificant. At some point, however, the game engine considers the whole area to become untenable - that's the point at which the fire appears.

I know a little about wild land fire fighting. I once, in the California/Nevada desert, saw a large fire occur in the winter. The conditions were very, very specific, however: it required very dense fuel (sage brush) to be very dry (the sap had not yet risen) on a very windy day. Probably the first and last anyone there had ever seen it SNOW on a fire.

However, I would say the chance of a wild land fire to do anything other then smolder briefly in a deciduous forest in the winter to be absolutely nil. You might get some drifting smoke, but that's it. First off, deciduous forests really don't like to burn at all, anyway.

I would put the chance of forest fire in Western Europe's forests as something like this:

Winter: absolutely none. You could shell an area into splinter and and you would just end up with smoldering twigs.

Spring: very, very low. Extremely low. Think slightly more smoldering twigs. Melting snow, rising sap and rain.

Summer: very low. If was an extremely dry summer (summer of 1944???), low. But basically you get decent precip in most of Europe in the summer.

Fall: very low, but, at least to some extent, a function of the summer's wetness.

What does all this boil down to (IMO)? I think that wildland fire would not be tactically relevant Fall, Winter or Spring, and very unusual in the summer. House fires and flame throwers not withstanding.

Sage

Guest Big Time Software

Not to worry folks, this was just an Alpha thing. Modifiers for sparking fires depending on weather and ground conditions has not yet been added. Will be soon smile.gif

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Kent and Sage, good point about climate. We have based our weather modifiers on the NE US and historical study. In general, when talking terrain, the NE US is very close to NW Europe. We also run this stuff by Martin who lives in western Germany.

Steve