Public petition opposing the closure of IWM Library.

Doodlebug

A long time friend and associate recently brought to my attention the following petition, a link to which is given below.

https://www.change.org/p/rt-hon-george-osborne-mp-urgently-reverse-current-and-future-cuts-to-the-uk-imperial-war-museum-s-annual-operating-grant-in-aid-so-that-it-can-maintain-services-and-preserve-its-standing-as-an-international-centre-for-study-research-and-education

I suspect many others will be unaware of these proposals as indeed was I. In this the centenary year of the outbreak of The Great War it seems incredibly ill timed, insensitive and, if I am permitted to express a personal view, short-sighted should this course of action proceed. It just seems such a waste of a national resource (I would go further and say an internationally recognised one at that) for the sake of a handful of millions where the amounts are counted elsewhere in the billion.

I have no vested interest in this matter beyond my opposition to the proposal. I point out for the sake of balance that the originator of the petition has clearly mentioned his trade union affiliation and is obviously acting in defence of the threatened jobs along with a desire to preserve the services currently available.

I would close by saying that I have sought permission from the moderator before bringing this to the attention of any interested individuals who may wish to join in registering their thoughts or opposition to the proposed action.