I hope nobody got squashed by Floyd.

We (in central NJ) had about an inch of water over the low half of the basement floor, and a couple of nearby water treatment plants went offline (boil all water before using). My office and most of the others in the area closed because either a)they're under water or b)the roads leading in are underwater or c)they were ordered to shut down.

Overall, it was *not* as bad I was expecting.

My sympathies to anybody who had major problems from this little reminder that Ma Nature is, basically, an evil wench.

DjB

I live in southern New Hanover county in NC -- aka Wilmington. We are like the head pin on a bowling alley. The Sahara Desert is like a giant left handed bowler rolling big swinging hooks across the Atlantic. In the last 3 years, he has thrown 5 strikes and I have had the eye of 4 of those go straight over my head -- Bertha, Fran, Bonnie and Floyd. Dennis just missed.

Now I love bowling (one of the only sports where it is cool to drink beer by the pitcher while you do it! wink.gif), but this is not at all funny. We had 18" of rain in 36 hours. I have two giant trees down in my yard -- one just missed my house. We are safe, but this sh-- is getting old quick. My wife and I keep looking at each other and longing to move back to Pittsburgh where at least it snows once in awhile and you can stop and get a kielbasa from a perfect stranger's grill as you tromp through the north side to Three Rivers Stadium to take in a Steelers game. Now THAT'S living. This hurricane crap is for the birds.

------------------

The enchanter may confuse the outcome, but the effort remains sublime.

Hey Pixman! I'm from Pittsburgh, too. smile.gif Well, a 30 minute drive

south of there, but it's right next door and is the nearest city

that people would recognize if they asked you from what part of the

country you are from. I can safely say that the best people in the

country come from south western PA. 8P

I'm a big Steeler fan, as well (of course). I had the privelege of

growing up during the Steelers reign of the 70's. Ah, the

Steel Curtain... smile.gif You need to move back to a *real* city, where

you get real live blizzards, great food and men are men, hehe. 8)

I always laugh when people say how great some of these places are

around the country. I don't want to live anywhere where the

phrase "natural disaster" is used on a yearly basis. smile.gif Anyhow,

nice to know there is at least one other local on this forum. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Lee (edited 09-17-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Yeah, I lost power for 15 hours, about 2 inches of rain, lost one decent sized tree (missing the Weasel by 4 ft...), who knows how many down in the "back 20", and have one Ash tree that probably is 80ft tall listing to one side. The side is THANKFULLY not the one my house is on smile.gif And I live about 80mi inland. That's what happens when warm crappy weather from down south mixes with the cold dry air coming in from Canada frown.gif

Steve

We got lucky down here in Florida. Just a glancing blow this time. It looked bad for a while but as it turned out we only lost power for about 5 hours. Sorry to hear about everbody elses misfortunes.

Pixman, everone down here needs to send a Xmas card to the people of NC. You guys have been taking our beatings for us lately.

------------------

Rhet

I want more than a Christmas card!! Seriously, hurricanes are not to be trifled with. They are, hands down, the single most powerful natural event on the planet.

Steve stirred my memory of a great book when he talked about what happens when warm "crappy" air moves north and collides with arctic air. Has anybody here read "The Perfect Storm" by Sebastian Junger? It is an awesome book about just such an event. A tropical hurricane, arctic storm, and a Great Lakes fed storm all collided around Sable Island off of New Foundland. The result was the storm of the century -- a meteorologic freak of nature. 90' seas and sustained winds in excess of 120 knots.

The freaky part is that it "retrograded", meaning it tracked WEST -- against the jet stream -- and smashed into the New England coast. October of 1991 I believe. May have been 1993.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who is fascinated by man's struggle to survive when Mother Nature starts to PMS. I was riveted from start to end. The book is also out on tape, read by Stanley Tucci. He does a great job.

Pixman

------------------

The enchanter may confuse the outcome, but the effort remains sublime.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>They are, hands down, the single most powerful natural event on the planet.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pixman, you ain't just whistl'in dixie! I was around during the Andrew aftermath. BTW, the Discovery channel shows a program on that storm. It was called "Storm of the Century" interestingly enough. wink.gif

P.S. I hope the clean up goes quickly for you.

------------------

Rhet