Scrounging for weapons...has something changed?

Hello,

I recall originally playing CMBN (pre v2.1) and finding that when my squads gave Buddy Aid to casualties that carried things like SMGs, LMG and AT weapons, they would invariably also pick up (scrounge) their fallen comrades "better" weapons and ammo to replace their own (usually a standard rifle or pistol).

This was kind of key especially when an infantry squad/team lost it's LMGer for example. It made perfect sense for one of the remaining members to drop their rifle and replace it with the LMG.

Unless mistaken, I do not find this happening as it used to.

Has something changed with the way scrounging weapons now works?

Bull

As far as I am aware, soldiers have *never* picked up SMGs via Buddy Aid, except maybe in rare cases where the soldier doing the Buddy Aid is armed with only a pistol. This has actually been an issue of some contention pretty much since CMBN came out, with some players arguing that soldiers carrying a rifle should prefer to pick up a downed SMG, and some arguing it's good the way it is.

IME, Buddy Aid usually does pick up a downed SAW. It's not 100% -- sometimes they don't, which AIUI is intended to represent situations where the downed weapon is fouled or damaged, but more often than not a SAW on a downed soldier is picked up.

IME, pick up of AT specials is IME slightly less frequent than SAWs, but still happens more often than not.

I am not aware of any changes to "weapons scrounging" behavior made with either 3.0 or 3.1, but I'll keep an eye out as if there are, this may not have been intended.

I think there are three categories of weapons:

1. sidearms 2. rifles and SMG 3. scoped rifles and LMG (perhaps these are two categories)

Weapons will only be picked up if considered superior. I am not aware of any changes but would welcome SMG pickup by riflemen.

AT weapons get picked up as secondary weapons.