Facing in buildings

Guest rick614

Guest rick614

I have some problems when moving my men into a building. Do I have to use the overhead view to position them on the side of the bldg and rotate them to get them to cover a certain area? Same thing if they are already in the bldg and I want them to look east say as opposed to west, must I move them to the other side. Also, I don't think CM is designed to model in house fighting but how will the AI handle this. I have a US rifle squad upstairs firing to the north. Unknown to them the remants of a German SMG squad occupies the first floor and start firing to the south. What happens?

Well, in some of the largest buildings it is possible for them not to see eachother. (It happened to me once or twice.. Pretty radical trying to maneuvre out of a building without being seen let me tell you wink.gif ).

Generally though if you want a unit to keep a lookout to the east and place it on the west of a building it is NOT going to be able to see what hap[pens to the east of the building.

EVEN if you place it in the middle of the building its ability to see to either side and/or behind it is reduced. Generally if I want to keep eyes focussed on the east I will actually put men there..

Remember that you can split a squad into two half-squads and thus increase the number of arcs it can keep under good observation.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Ok, this is kind of off topic for this thread, but since Fionn brought it up...

What is the most effective use for half squads? I don't think I've split a squad yet in a game, since I've never really seen the point. Looking out two sides of a building with split squads is an excellent tip that I hadn't thought of though. I've thought about using them to flush out possible ambushes in woods and such, but in case you do come across an ambush, isn't it better to have the fire power of a full squad?

Anyway, I'm sure there are good uses for them, I just don't know what they are, so I thought I'd ask for some tips....

I've used half squads to trigger ambushes like you were saying. I dont go for the needing full firepower bit as I was using them as bait while the other half was with the rest of the platoon in decent positions waiting for enemy to pop up.

I use Half-Squads for spotting and recon- no sense going and putting a while squad at risk , especially since a split squad can see twice. (I'm not talking gamey recon of running guys into the heart of the enemy formation until they die, I just mean forward recon, sneaking through woods to search for enemy stugs ect. )

Half-squads are also great for outposts. Put a few half-squads in forward positions and tell them to hide, spy out the forward elements of the enemy and his main axis of advance, then retreat back to friendly lines and join them together. To borrow a line from one of the guys on this forum - "vorgs grate" smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

The above advice is exactly what half squads were intended to do in CM. On the attack they are scouts, on the defensive they are outposts. In neither role will these guys put up a good fight, so you will want to withdraw/hide them as SOON as possible (i.e. next turn after contact).

In the big AAR game played between Fionn and Martin, Fionn tried to use half squads to increase his number of units so that he could gain (or so he thought) additional tactical advantage. He found out the hard way that this is NOT a good idea, and probably lost the bulk of a platoon for no gain because of this. The rules surrounding half squads (do a search on this BBS to find out more) were designed to not only be realistic, but also discourage gamey tactics and unrealistic end results. We are very happy with the way things turned out.

End result -> half squads have an important, though limited, role to play. However, I personally use them very rarely, so they are not an escential part.

Steve