Are hellcats open topped?

ok...in my infamous fight with SS_PanzerLeader I saw that my Tiger is worthy more than his 3 Hellcats...(btw..SSPL where are you?....are you returning to Washington?)...

but I tried also to get some cats by 105mm artillery fire..with no result...

but looking at those Hellcats from the top they closed hatch and seemed to have a top armour..

are Hellcats really open topped?

Guest Big Time Software

Knaust, all US TD style tanks were open topped. This includes the M10, M18, M36, and variants.

Just a reminder that we have toned down the chance of KO'ing an open topped vehicle by artillery fire. Knockouts should be fairly uncommon, but in LD it is clear that it is far too common.

Steve

Guest L Tankersley

kid, I'm fairly sure the basic doctrine was that tanks were supposed to engage infantry targets and TDs enemy tanks. Since a TD wouldn't be facing infantry and only had to worry about killing tanks, they were made open-topped so the crew could see better (giving them a better chance to get the first shot off) and also to improve the rate of fire since they weren't crowded in quite as tight.

That was the plan, anyway.

Leland J. Tankersley

For what it's worth, the M18's top was a little less open than the stock M10 and M36, with the gunner being under partial roof.

The 7th Army, at least, got around to rigging armoured covers for some of their M10s, pictures of which can be seen in the Zaloga and Squadron books on US TDs. Also, my father took a picture of an M36 in his battalion (the 813th, which got refitted from M10s to M36s after Nordwind and the intense encounters at Hatten and Ritterschoffen) with a similar armoured roof added.

Kevin Christensen

Lawrence, KS

Remember that the doctrine was to "hit and run" and lighness (i.e. speed)was a major feature of it. But in facts things were less obvious!

My grand father served in a TD french regiment (with M10 I believe) and he alway told me that they used their destroyers in the same manners as other tanks. Moreover they fighted more often against infantry than against armored troop.

Many TD's had tops fitted later in the war, but these were just thin things to keep hand grenades out.

I've seen photo's showing them raised above the turret rim, so there's a gap al the way around - possibly the turrets weren't fitted with ventilation systems of any type so they need some "natural" air conditioning!

Mike