Scenarios&Campaigns

Guest Big Time Software

We haven't done much with this. Most sceanrios will come from our testers. I know Fionn is cooking up Villers Bocage for sure, and that there will be several battles from the border battles. Martin also wants to do a bunch of scenarios from the Caen area if I am not mistaken. I will be doing a bunch of fictional battles as well. Oh, and Fionn is going to make up a bunch of "training" scearios.

Steve

" Most sceanrios will

come from our testers. I know Fionn is cooking up

Villers Bocage for sure, and that there will be several

battles from the border battles. Martin also wants to do

a bunch of scenarios from the Caen area if I am not

mistaken. I will be doing a bunch of fictional battles as

well. Oh, and Fionn is going to make up a bunch of

"training" scearios. "

This statement has me a little concered. It sounds as though you don't have a plan for the Single Player Game. A solid Single Player game is an absolute must. There should be a least 40 scenerios. Many of these scenrios part of Campaigns (a least 6). You have finished the hard part of building the mechanics of the game. Now a solid scenerio and campaign structure is required to showcase the game.

------------------

"Armchair Generals never lose any men"-Darstand

One worthy battle, that I think would be the right scale, would be the battle of Mortain. As I recall, there was one surrounded American company on a hill outside of town, and the rest of a bn down in and west of the town of Mortain, attempting to 1) halt the German attack and 2) rescue the surrounded company. On the German side, there were supposedly remnants of two divisions involved in the attack, but what those remnants amounted to, I don't know.

It would be a good battle because there were really two or three 'theatres' of the battle: the hilltop, the defensive battle in and north of the town, and the American reinforcements. Attack and defense by both sides.

Steve

Stephen,

if you look at a map of the area, you will quickly realize that the battlefield you are talking about is way too big to be made into one CM map, something like 30+ sqkm! This would have to be split up into several single battles, perhaps two campaigns.

This shows nicely the difference at which history books treat WWII battles (Divisions, sometimes Regiments) and at which CM is going to take place (battalion, 1/3 of a regiment). BTW, I have just made one battle from the Mortain theatre to test the beta version, which is the fighting around the roadblock of Abbey Blanche on the outskirts of Mortain about a mile away from the town center.

And if I may say so, the AI (as outnumbered US defender) at this early stage already annihilated one platoon of PzGrenadiers and badly decimated another one. I won, but barely.

Guest Big Time Software

Darstand,

Don't worry. It takes about 2-3 hours to make a scenario, and then a variable amount of time to test it. We (meaning Charles and I) are far too busy making the game to be making scenarios. That is why the testers are going to do it. We have selected a fair number of testers because they have a LONG history of making scenarios for other wargames. I can't say who they are, but trust me, we have our bases well covered smile.gif

Oh, and don't forget that campaigns consist of one setup that goes on for variable numbers of battles on the same map. So campaigns are NOT nearly as hard to make as in other games. Also don't forget that there is the on the fly scenario creator, editor, and the huge number of online scenarios that will be made available. With these you could probably play CM 24hrs a day for several years before you ran out of unique scenarios smile.gif

Steve