POWs

Guest Big Time Software

All vehicles have to be moved individually. There is no C&C/WCII style group select. This is because vehicles need to have their paths plotted, or we get the chaotic mass movement problems that plauges RTS games. It makes for frustrating gameplay there, just imagine what it would be like where facing and terrain types matter smile.gif

You clear vehicles off roads (or other place) by nudging them with another vehicle. Chances are you will need something bigger than whatever is disabled, as tires and other damage make it tough to do with a same sized, or smaller, vehicle. We haven't worked out the details yet.

Steve

Guest Lokesa

wow, thats pretty cool, pushing vehicles out of the way. It's funny how so much we take as natural or matter of course in the real world is a big deal when it gets programmed in to a game. You mean we can actually move the wreck out of the way??? :0

Short follow-up question on the "Quit" suptopic: if I quit a scenario within a larger campaign because things look REALLY bad, what will the next scenario look like? Or is the whole campaign lost?

For example: if you quit a game, will the scores factor in that an x number of my soldiers will die when hastily pulled ouf of contact with enemy units? I think CC3 does that - if you hit the quit button, a menu screen pops up saying something like: when you withdraw 7 soldiers will be killed, do you want to proceed?

The latter is actually quite interesting in my opinion, because it forces a player to plan for a retreat before hitting the quit button in a campaign. In other words, you don't want to hit the "quit" button before you moved at least a good portion of your men out of contact to make sure they survive for another day.

Guest Big Time Software

Moon, quitting the game means quitting the whole thing. You can't just skip a battle in a campaign. This would require some kind of "autocalc" battle cruncher, and we don't have time to do this. If you find a campaign is kicking your ass, and you have lost interest in even trying to salvage a draw, then there is no option other than to be a crybaby and flick the power switch and hope nobody finds out what a whimp you are smile.gif

Steve

The judicial withdrawal inorder to live to kick the enemy's ass another day is not being a wimp; it is having the highest degree of predijudicial attitude against the enemy. smile.gif

The early Japanese island defenders banzaied themselves to glorious defeat where later as in Okanawa they had learned to sell themselves more dearly. Of course the final result was not so glorious, but neither is war win lose or draw. The only thing worse than a survivor's survey of the carnage in the aftermath is being a participant in that carnage.

I am looking forward to the issuance of CM v2, but will not hesitate to obtain the opportunity to participate, in CM v1 as an owner ------ if only for the opportunity to sit quietly on the sidelines of a forum in the development of that version if not to do so with some noise. Steve et al, I heard a rumor that you were planning to sell internet seats to that forum; tickets anyone?

smile.gif (:

This forum business seems to have a certain entertainment value in its own right! Where else is There such a show on the internet road?

The judicial withdrawal inorder to live to kick the enemy's ass another day is not being a wimp; it is having the highest degree of predijudicial attitude against the enemy. smile.gif

The early Japanese island defenders banzaied themselves to glorious defeat where later as in Okanawa they had learned to sell themselves more dearly. Of course the final result was not so glorious, but neither is war win lose or draw. The only thing worse than a survivor's survey of the carnage in the aftermath is being a participant in that carnage.

I am looking forward to the issuance of CM v2, but will not hesitate to obtain the opportunity to participate, in CM v1 as an owner ------ if only for the opportunity to sit quietly on the sidelines of a forum in the development of that version if not to do so with some noise. Steve et al, I heard a rumor that you were planning to sell internet seats to that forum; tickets anyone?

................... smile.gif .....................

This forum business seems to have a certain entertainment value in its own right! Where else is There such a show on the internet road?

Guest Big Time Software

[qoute]The judicial withdrawal inorder to live to kick the enemy's ass another day is not being a wimp; it is having the highest degree of predijudicial attitude against the enemy.

Gee, a whole new gaming concept and minds go

TILT! and game hearts go NEVER!; my, my, how ingrown, how committed, how typically militry. smile.gif Oh, well I suppose it is too late in the process anyway to come to grips with how the impossible might might be made to become otherwise --- What if Yammamato's invasion of Midway hadn't lost heart and come on anyway after the US fleet retired. Surely the Japanese's screen of submarines had detected and that fact. Little Midway surely would have faced a more formidible invasion than equally little Wake Is. The immediate balance of airpower was restorable using the now recalled carrier resources from the Alution Island part of the scheme.

And what if the Doolittle raid had declaired failure upon its premature discovery by the Japanese picket vessel, there might not have been a Midway.

Seriously, I do not question the course of CM, but in my idle consideration of electronic wargaming in general prompted by the fertile thinking taking place via this Forum, I do get to wishing that the war aspect in evaluating victory were more emphasized and the gaming less. Yes, I know that in the final run it still a game. But somehow evaluating and treating the results of play simular to the rather simplistic treatment of football or baseball etc, lets fall an opportunity to place the electronic battle closer to a larger minded representation of war. The experence might be a little more equivical; so is real life. The soldier in the aftermath of battle had a little different view of victory. As todays veterans of Germany's WWII effort might see the defeat of German arms there a little differently from the personal standpoint considering their fallen comrads --- And what if their efforts had born the fruit intended--- Sometimes "victory" is a spin worthy of a present day Presidentual press converence explaining the meaning of "is". Where what ultimately is a failure becomes victory.

Such evaluations are beyond the scope of a game; nevertheless on our smaller scale an enlargement of the take on battle results and the treatment of campaign operations do prompt me to wish for a more sophisticated treatement. Where better to lay such a wish? I know not where a more able and inovative set of minds in the business is availabe.

Let us not confine our wishes to the improvement of the gaming engine itself and then its application to a more real battlefield; lets be able to go further into making game results evaluate more realisticly: I think that in CM within its gameplay such capabilities are already being demonstrated.

English classes, today in our schools, which is not the case in the past, have seemed to be failing in their duty they have, to all of our children, and moreover to all of us and society in general, with respect to properly diagramming sentences, indeed. Furthermore, the drawbacks, in the obvious senses, is that the reader becomes unfortunately lost as to the meanings of the communication that was to be intended by it. It seems as well that the definition of the word "pedantic" has suffered from the enduring of much neglect, more than it should be.

smile.gif

(sorry I could not resist)

Guest Lokesa

lol I actually did much of my schooling in Mexico and yes I admit their English classes were somewhat lacking wink.gif When I moved to Oakland for further studying dey taut me all da engrish I needed to be a bitnetman in da moden world.

As to the campain system, I like it. We won't be able to cheat the system retreating out of bad situations without paying for it. This could lead to forcing us to not stick our necks out without proper support even.

Guest Big Time Software

BDW, I think I can clear this up...

If you are playing a Campaign, and feel that you can not win, you hit "quit" and automatically lose. Since the campaign might have gone on for several more battles there is no way to figure out who would have won the battle without simulating the rest of the game. Why? Because you aren't there to command one of the sides (coward smile.gif). If you quit you are admitting defeat, and therefore lose.

Now, if you are playing a campaign and feel that a particular *battle* is a lost cause, this is totally different. If you still want to salvage the campaign you can simply pull back your forces and opt to end the battle (attacker) or remove all your forces off the map (defender). We might have some kind of "ceasefire" request. If done right this could be a really good thing. In any case, after the doomed battle is over you then go on to the next battle with whatever lumps you suffered from the previous "defeat".

Ah, hope this post did what it was supposed to do smile.gif

Steve

• 7 months later...

This goes out to John Maragoudakis,

Now my being a Marine means this feels mighty strange, defending the Army, but 'Anzio' is just a movie, that thing, at least as portrayed by the movie, never happened. Yes, the Rangers took a big hit but it wasn't as if the Germans just appeared from behind their camaflage.