I am confused...

Guest Big Time Software

No, it will not support Glide. However, all 3Dfx cards (so far as we know) are supported by either MS' DirectX or Apple's Sprockets. So if you have a 3Dfx card you are all set. I have a crappy 1st gen 3Dfx card for my other Mac and CM works on it just fine.

More specifically, CM does not support ANY special API set. There are just too many and we don't have the means of testing them all properly. We *MIGHT* specifically support OpenGL, but probably not for the first release. Personally, I am not sure what we gain by that except longevity on the Mac side (Sprockets will die and OpenGL will be king).

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 08-22-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

No, it will not support Glide. However, all 3Dfx cards (so far as we know) are supported by either MS' DirectX or Apple's Sprockets. CM supports both of these standards. So if you have a 3Dfx card you are all set. I have a crappy 1st gen 3Dfx card for my other Mac and CM works on it just fine.

More specifically, CM does not support ANY special API set. There are just too many and we don't have the means of testing them all properly. We *MIGHT* specifically support OpenGL, but probably not for the first release. Personally, I am not sure what we gain by that except longevity on the Mac side (Sprockets will die and OpenGL will be king).

Steve

Sorry to post again on this topic but what you are saying is CM will shine and look great running on a 3dfx voodoo 3 card? Just as great as (graphicaly speaking) as any other top of the line card for Macintosh? I am just want to make sure that the 3d card that I buy will work well with CM. Thanks.

Post away, Lion. The more the individual asks, the more the group knows (that is one of the few rules I remember from my speech communication class)

I'm pretty sure that CM will look about the same regardless of the vid card being used. Steve/Charles don't have the time/money to test graphics quality/speed settings for every card/API combo out there (the VooDoo3 card, TNT2 card, Lumberjack card, SuperTechnoMegaUltraNinjaZord card etc etc)

The difference between min-spec machines and hotrods should be (on the CPU side) the time it takes for the machine to calculate the turn results, ie write a script for the movie, and (on the graphics side) framerates while showing the movie.

The only customizable display setting that I know of so far is tree density. BTS, are there any others? Like shadows on/off, smaller (mechanically useless) craters on/off, things like that?

DjB

ps once again, just MHO. Point and laugh if I be wrong.

Guest Big Time Software

Doug is correct. Cards will make no difference about how the game looks (unless it has buggy drivers hehe). The better the card, the faster the framerate. A Voodoo 3 would be *very* good for that smile.gif

One of the reasons we aren't supporting every card and its brother's own API sets is that we DON'T want the game to look different for different people. Plus, we don't have the extra speed to sacrifice for some of these features, as most special features require a framerate hit.

Steve