how much left?

No fear, I'm not about to ask about the projected release date. But after hearing all these reports of an alpha more polished then many developer's final releases, I am curious what exactly is left to do. Is the strategic AI the bulk of it? It sounds like you guys are actually going to use the beta phase for ironing bugs that crop up and implementing changes based on tester feedback, as opposed to how some companies are still just trying get the game to work at all. Anyway, with patience and a little valium I imagine I'll survive until that glorious end of summer day, but it helps to know what I'm waiting on.

Chris R

ps I'm still entertaining a fear that this whole CM thing is just a very elaborate practical joke by two bored college freshman named steve and charles... Sure, wargamers are the most abused and neglected segment of the gaming audience.. why not pretend to listen to them? Act like your designing a game that does everything they want... Oh yeah, real physics, brilliant AI, you can even mock up some "screen shots" with a paint program. Heck, charles can even use the text from the "message board" in his sociology 101 paper. Oh, won't it be a hoot when they finally let the cat out of the bag.

Guest Big Time Software

Steve,

The goose flies at midnight. Repeat. The goose flies at midnight.

We've been compromised. Empty the safe house. Destroy incriminating data and shred all documents. Have CRourke eliminated before he can contact others. Assemble all false identity papers and I will see you in Buenos Aires.

Charles

wink.gif

Guest Big Time Software

But seriously, here's why Combat Mission, which is quite possibly more ready to ship than what most of our competitors call "ready to ship", is still "alpha" to us:

1. We're really anal-retentive. But this is good for the consumer! Really! Seriously, you'd rather have a solid game than something full of bugs, right?

2. You can't take my baby away! wink.gif

3. Four big things that aren't finished yet:

- "Strategic" level AI

- 2-player networking

- Vehicle models

- Full set of scenarios

Charles

Guest Big Time Software

Boris, thanks for chiming in, but we know that Chris is only kidding (he better be smile.gif) We got a big laugh out of his "ps" too. In fact, we were thinking "DOH, why didn't we think of that? All this time we have been working on the real thing, when would could have just done nothing but pretending and taking CC numbers!" Man, talk about strategic business errors wink.gif But I susppose since we have gotten this far, we might as well finish it!

Oh, and Hasbro has just annouced Diplomacy at E3. The first of AH's old titles has come up for air! Hopefully it will be done well and more will follow.

Steve

NOW it all falls into place... the security guards in black BMWs with sunglasses all around Charles house... the drive at night through Boston's maze of one-way roads... NOW I see!

Chris, I think you are on the right track... ahm, have you seen "Conspiracy theory" with Mel Gibson? Uh oh...

Moon,

When you saw the game did they let you issue ANY orders at all?

I'm thinking it was just an elaborate video mock-up of a fictional game which they showed you as part of the plot... I bet you Steve and Charles never let a mouse into your hands at all ;)...

P.s. Steve, I don't care what it takes but I want a beta candidate pried out of Charles hands by the end of July. Babies take NINE months to be delivered so time's up dudes wink.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

3. Four big things that aren't finished yet:

- "Strategic" level AI

- 2-player networking

- Vehicle models

- Full set of scenarios<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does this mean that fortifications have been completed?

------------------

Rhet

[This message has been edited by Rhet (edited 05-14-99).]

Hmm... Fionn, they must be smarter than we think because I actually did get to issue orders... but hey, maybe I was full of drugs at that time and didn't realize what was going on at all. That would explain why we went to this restaurant BEFORE they showed me the game... Now that I think of it... say, Steve, what were those spices called again that had this strange smell?

Guest Big Time Software

Rhet, yes... fortifications are done. Check out the screenshots linked to in the "barbedwire" thread. We haven't really played around with them too much, but it they work too damned well smile.gif

Moon, it was cardamom. That itself couldn't have deceived you, but it does mask the taste of the sodiumpendethol pretty well!

Steve

Ya Fionn, I'd LIKE to believe that moon is just their stupid dupe... but c'mon. Just think about it.. all his "Wow, I saw the game and its soooo cool" posts.. yeah, I'll bet most of you guys fell for that one hook line and sinker.. but not me.

Chris

So Chris, your saying that Moon's in on it too eh? Hmm I've never met him in real life so maybe you're right. He's probably working on the sociology project with them.

Let's wrassle us up a posse and go hunt down them there's Weasels in the Weasel smile.gif.

Come on boys there's a lynching to be done.

Guest John Maragoudakis

Come on wasn't it obviouse? Look at Moon's name. Spell it backwards.

NO OM...NO CM. smile.gif

John,

I must strongly disagree with your findings smile.gif I don't thinkg we can presume NO OM = No Combat Mission..

I think you are in error what it OBVIOUSLY means is No OVERLORD MISSION... Note the subtitle of Combat Mission (Beyond Overlord)..

Now if we can presume that there is NO OVERLORD MISSION then what hope is there for the game which goes "beyond" OVERLORD? None, exactly.

I cite this as conclusive proof of the cruel hoax. wink.gif

Just because you're paranoid does NOT mean they're NOT out to get you wink.gif.