Speaking of TCP/IP

I was somewhat shocked today by the number of people who posted saying they didn't care at all about TCP/IP and that they preferred PBEM. I voted FOR immediate release but playing over the internet is what I am looking forward to the most. I play Steel Panthers 3 online with a friend 1 or 2 times a week and they are so much more gratifing than the SP1 games we play by e-mail. Nothing is quite as satisfing as out thinking someone. Especially when we have been playing games against each other since the original Squad Leader came out. We have a very good feel for each others tendencies. So I just wanted to get a feel of what percentage of folks out there ARE looking forward to taking out a piece of my butt in a TCP/IP game?

Guest Gunnerdream

I completely agree with Rommel.

I too enjoy playing games TCP/IP with my brother who lives 300 miles away and we have also been playing SL since it first came out(God I'm oooold!)

But as far as waiting the extra time for the game with the TCP/IP ...man...I WANT IT NOW!

And I do have the utmost faith in the guys at Battle Front and Big Time. I've certainly NEVER encountered another group like this as far as customer satisfaction and attention to customer preferences goes!

Bring it on!!

Gunnerdream...floating down, through the clouds...

Guest KwazyDog

To be honest I dont think a lot of people realise that playing via TCP/IP means they will be able to both watch and play their turns simultaneously (ie. you and your oponent will be able to do them at the same time). This would speed up both internet and LAN games a lot, which means you could get through battles a lot quicker. No more send 4 emails for one turn smile.gif

Ive been playing via hotseat and email for months now, and Im all for shipping now as this works great, but Im looking forward to TCP/IP when its implemented. It should save a lot of time, when means more CM playing and less waiting smile.gif

Guest Captain Foobar

I posted this in the vote, but in case anyone reading doesn't know about it. Go download ICQ! I think it was free, and although it doesnt allow instant turn resolution, it makes it go by RREEEAAALLY fast, as you can Hold a chat session w/ your opponent, and file transfer the turns back and forth. Way easier than emails.

I realise perfectly well what tcp/ip means. You and your opponent do everything simultaneously for all your turns. You also feel some implicit pressure to go through your turns as fast as possible, as how long the game takes depends directly on how much time your turns take. And how much time your opponent spends waiting for you.

Each turn takes at least a minimum of, say, 3 minutes for the shortest turns, to a maximum of probably 12, though on maps I haven't seen before, I'll spend a good 30 minutes just scoping out the terrain during setup, and probably spend a goodly amout of time on later turns as well. So 30 minutes, plus, say, an average of 7 minutes a turn, for the 20-40 minutes that a 30-60 minute battle will likely take. So a good 3-5 hours for one battle! And this is spending almost all of that time on cm. I don't want to devote 3-5 straight hours on anything, no matter how fun.

I just had an enjoyable weekend, playing a PBEM game with turns that turned around every hour or so, with some exceptions, also reading Hastings' Overlord, puttering around the house, and finishing raking the leaves. All at the same time, and it made for a quite enjoyable and productive weekend. This is the pace at which I like to do things. Others may well prefer tcp/ip, but I'm fairly sure I will not.

De gustibus non disputandem est.

-John Hough

ps. Just realized my post needed paragraphs. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by John Hough (edited 12-06-99).]

Guest KwazyDog

Umm, no need to spend all that time at once John, there is a save game feature that allows you to save the game at any point.

But anyways, if you dont want to use tcp/ip then that is fair enough, and there is an easy solution. Dont smile.gif

And that is exactly the solution I intend to use. wink.gif

But given the entirely one-sided discussion of tcp/ip, I figured I'd say my piece on why i'm not gonna use it. smile.gif

To get the sort of division of time I prefer, I would be saving and resuming the game a good 6-10 times. At that point, might as well play pbem. smile.gif

-John

typo.

[This message has been edited by John Hough (edited 12-06-99).]

I see myself playing both styles pbem and tcp/ip. For serious campaigns I think pbem will be the method of choice whereas for fun pickup games tcp/ip will be the way to go.

Guest John Maragoudakis

I will probably enjoy TCP/IP more than PBEM.

I think leaving a player too much time to ponder takes away from the momentum that an attack creates.

Just got done a 3 1/2 hour SP3 game with TCP/IP. For me it isn't a drag to devote that kind of time in one sitting. I have found I play MUCH better in TCP/IP and hotseat games than PBEM. It isn't because I am a high speed game player. I find for me I get more into the flow of a game when it is continuous instead of having to wait an hour or a day to play the next turn. It must just be the way I get into the groove of a game.

Guest kip anderson

Hi,

I too go back to the original Squad Leader days and am also looking forward to playing the same friends from twenty years back live over the net with CM. For me playing a human will always be more fun than playing the AI.

However I also voted to ship now, what is the harm in it?

All the best,

Kip.

------------------

Euro players don't get unlimited local calls.I never knew that. That must suck. One TCP/IP game must cost like 20 bucks to play. There were some folks on this board that I was gonna try to hook up with for some internet play...Here's an idea....Can BTS do something about the phone companies over there so that everyone in Europe can have free local calls :)). After playing this demo I have come to believe they can do anything!

I am the "friend" of whom Elvis speaks. and while i have to agree with him about tcp/ip i feel i must warn you all that he is a swine, a liar and has an abnormally large head. that aside, he only wants tcp because my head is so fat i can't get the pbem files to download correctly so we haven't really been able to play that way.

i am not a shoot em up player and i like to have plenty of time to think about how to best shred my opponent, but i get into trouble if i spend too much time thinking about it.

Elvis has spent many too many hours accross an ASL board waiting for me to move and then sluaghters me because i over-thought the move. It almost seems like cheating to spend too much time planning a move in CM. i felt guilty playing against the AI if i looked at a turn from too many angles or more than once. (I was surprised to learn that the evil Elvis looks at turns many times.)

IMHO the game is designed not as a leisurely stroll with plenty of time plan but a bloody mess with gore and the stench of cordite, guts and fear and the loosed bowels of dying frightened men... sorry, got carried away.

DIE ELVIS YOU FILTHY SWINE!!!

Mr Peng